Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yuck! Help/advice please

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:08 AM
  • 6 Replies

I just got off work at 4 a.m. The big toe on my right foot has been sort of throbbing on/off all night. I put it down to "standing too long". I get home and notice it is sort of red...ignore it. Afetr awhile I notice an odor.....look down and there's pus coming out of my big toe!!! On the inside;right next to the toenail ( gross tmi I know,sorry). I've soaked it in hot water and it has started to swell and hurt.

I know most of you are not doctors. And alot of you will say "Go to the doctor,duh!" Which I will try to do...but it is saturday and it's 5:00 a.m.. Anybody have any ideas until I can get in to be seen? I have tried to get more pus/infection out but nothing. Please help.....

Thanks

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Sounds like you have an infected ingrown toenail. What you describe sounds like the exact same thing my dad had. He had to go to the doc to get it taken care of. Might wanna check into an urgent care clinic when they open.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Thank you. I'm starting to think it may be a boil ? I don't care what it is...I want it to stop hurting.

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

Sounds like you have an infected ingrown toenail. What you describe sounds like the exact same thing my dad had. He had to go to the doc to get it taken care of. Might wanna check into an urgent care clinic when they open.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow
wmjsease
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:25 AM

It does sound like an ingrown toenail.  Soak it in a tub of very warm water and get it softened up.  Then gently lift the corner of the nail away from the toe, using your fingernail.  It's easier to do when it has been wet for a while.  I've had them before, and that's what I have to do to fix mine.  Good luck. 

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Why would it start draining pus all of a sudden? That's the only thing I don't understand...  But, I will also admit that I really don't know. I've never had an ingrown toenail before.

Quoting wmjsease:

It does sound like an ingrown toenail.  Soak it in a tub of very warm water and get it softened up.  Then gently lift the corner of the nail away from the toe, using your fingernail.  It's easier to do when it has been wet for a while.  I've had them before, and that's what I have to do to fix mine.  Good luck. 

rocknrollgirl70
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM

yea sounds like an ingrown toenail.. just soak it in really warm water with Epsom salt.. if that doesnt help you to remove it you might have to go to the doctor

wmjsease
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Quoting brandyblx:

Why would it start draining pus all of a sudden? That's the only thing I don't understand...  But, I will also admit that I really don't know. I've never had an ingrown toenail before.

Quoting wmjsease:

If it has that much puss in it, then it could just start draining itself.  You still probably have an ingrown toenail, and will keep having puss until you get the toenail out of the skin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)