Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much choice do you give your child in what they eat?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM
  • 38 Replies

And how old are they? Like do you let them eat pizza for breakfast or oatmeal for dinner if that is what they really want? Just curious. I do this sometimes. Like the other morning my son wanted soup. It was 7AM and he had school that day. I wanted him to be full at school because they don't have breakfast there, so I let him eat it if that's what he'll eat. And sometimes they want eggs or oatmeal for dinner, and I do that too sometimes.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:37 AM

They are 16, 6 and 3.  I don't give them choices on what to eat very often.  They eat what they are served. 

mommy2josh410
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:38 AM

My son is 3 and he usually picks out what he's eating, I limit it to 2-3 options to pick from though. We recently found out he is lactose intollerent so finding things he will eat all the time has been difficult. Letting him pick out what he is going to eat has made meal time much easier.

AutumnLybbie
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Yeah mine pretty much eats what I serve too though sometimes he tells me what he's in the mood for and I agree. I don't do dinner for Breakfast but I can do breakfast for dinner at times!

gulfcoastmom4
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM

During the week they eat what I say and on the weekend I am much more lax about it.

ashley22ky
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Quoting mommy2josh410:

My son is 3 and he usually picks out what he's eating, I limit it to 2-3 options to pick from though. We recently found out he is lactose intollerent so finding things he will eat all the time has been difficult. Letting him pick out what he is going to eat has made meal time much easier.

Oh, yea, I agree. I do that too. It does make it easier. My 2 year old especially, he loves choices, lol.

nikki241
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Im quiet strict with what my dd eats, she is nearly 5, for breakfast she picks either cereal or toast, except saturday when we have pancakes, for lunch she has a sandwich and fruit, and for dinner she has what we have,if its something i know she really doesnt like i will let her pick something else that she wants as long as its a sensible dinner, if she eats all her dinner she can have a fruit or something after  if she leaves it she isnt allowed anything else!

CryssiH
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM

My oldest three are allowed any breakfast type food or leftover for breakfast.  If there is cold pizza in the fridge, they're welcome to it.  They all eat what I make for dinner.  The only one that balks at some foods is my youngest.  He's autistic and will only eat certain foods.  It's gotten better, but no casseroles or veggies at all and no soups.  He has standby foods in case I make something he won't eat.

MommyToEthan
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:44 AM

most of the time, my son will eat what we do.    he's only 3, so there are times where i let him pick what he wants to eat....  one crazy meal once in a while isn't going to hurt him.

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

coug7099
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:48 AM

For meals I have always asked DH, our kids and now our Grandkids who live with us if there is anything they want me to make for the next week. If there is then that  goes onto the week's menu. If they happen to be in the grocery store with me they get to choose their own cereal and snacks. Snacks are then all kept in a cupboard alone where they can choose what they want each time.

guess_who_wit_6
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I mean sometimes we do breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast but that's just because that's how me or dad decided to do things. We don't let them decide

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)