Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just wondering about parents who decide not to rearface carseats past 1 year

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM
  • 199 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you plan on rearfacing until at least age 2 and beyond?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 275

View Results

I am just curious what your reasons are for not rearfacing until age 2.  I don't want any bashing, I'm just wondering.  The American Academy of Pediatrics changed the reccomendation from rearfacing until a year old to 2 years old right as my twins were turning 1 so they will be rearfacing for at least another 6 months.  It's not ideal, but I'm gonna do it.  I was just really and truly curious as to why some folks choose differently.  This is not about value judgement or anything.  I just want to start a dialogue about it.  Thanks ladies!  (and gentlemen if there are any posting!)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM

people crack me up. I grew up in a time when most people didn't even use carseats. Then when my oldest were babies we of course used them, but there were no recomendations lol. They always forward faced. Then as my youngest were born the baby seats were built to rear face. I think whatever anyone decides in the grand sceam of things it doesn't really matter.

momto3infl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM

My kids are older now-but I totally feel that my kids were totally fine the first time around how I did them in carseats if I had all over to do again no they would be turned again at 1yr of age.

mommywsej
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM

My son is a "big boy". He is 9 months and weighs 23 lbs. We have a 2 door monte carlo and it is very difficult to get him in and out rear facing. He will be turning foward facing at 1.

ready_for2
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:09 AM

i didnt know about ERF until i joined cafemom.... so at the time we bought our carseats, we werent planning on (didnt even know about) ERF.

the carseats i got have low weight limits on rear facing, my son is a big boy and was 20 lbs at 9 months, so when he was 1 year he was already pretty much at the limit for rear facing, so we turned him around. also my back seat is TINY and there was no room for his legs and it was really hard to get him in and out (i drive a 2 door sunfire) but in DH car (honda element) he was able to RF longer, but still not really long bc the carseat weight limit

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM

My children were very large, one being 24 inches long at birth, and I chose not to squish them into the rear facing position!

Gutsywoman
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I hate having my little ones facing backward.  Hate it!  It's hard to get them into the seats, or hand them their juice or whatever, blah, blah, blah.  I was just curious.  I know when I was a kid we never wore seatbelts or anything and I remember sitting on my mom's lap in the front seat. lol  I guess though that crash studies prove that rear facing is safer anf erf is even safer still.  I also know lots of parents choose differently.  I was just wondering why.  I don't plan to ERF beyond 2  and the aap is just a reccomendation.  Not a law.

Quoting momaof8:

people crack me up. I grew up in a time when most people didn't even use carseats. Then when my oldest were babies we of course used them, but there were no recomendations lol. They always forward faced. Then as my youngest were born the baby seats were built to rear face. I think whatever anyone decides in the grand sceam of things it doesn't really matter.

JenB1983
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I'm an other.  My oldest was turned forward at 6 months old.  His ped said it was fine because he was a "big boy".  Luckily, I was never in a wreck.  At least...not while he was in the car.  I totalled my vehicle while driving with my youngest son, who was 6 weeks old at the time.  at that point I became obsessed.  LOL  He stayed RFing until this past November....he was 34 months old.

Unfortunately people seem to have the idea of "it will never happen to me, I'm a good driver".  Too bad it isn't your driving you should worry about...it's everyone elses'.  Until it become law to RF to 2/30; many people won't follow it.  Hell, how many people don't follow the 1/20; which IS law?

Oh well; anymore I just look at it as survival of the fittest.

swaney06
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM

mine are 2 and 3 and forward.. the only time they rear faced was in the carrier and the minute i couldnt carry it anymore and the dr said i could forward then i did.. but im a peranoid person bout it..i always tighten it down to the anytime i put them in it.. i always check them and make sure they are secure. the seats dont move i use all harnessing options to safetly secure it to the car.. so i dont give a crap what everyone else does.. im sick of o=post about moms being bad because they dont rear face..its our option ..just like religion.. we have a choice what we want and its our kids so if we think their safe then thats all that matters

mammapickle
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Granted it's not a huge deal, but rf contributed to the extent my dd is pigion toed. She's always been long legged and while it's not bad for a kid to sit knees out like they  kinda have to rf, she had hyperelastic joints and was sitting like that at the time when they started to firm up did not help the situation at all! So with this kid we'll know and get eval'd and go from there.

blondie7221
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I am not een voting on this, but decided to point out, why are you only going to 18 months and not to 2 yrs?  why is it ok for one mom to change a child at 3 yrs, but still ok for the others at 2 yrs,  it is a parents fight to do as she wants, some people change them to forward facing way before a yr, some do it at a yr some at 18 months and so on, it is up to them as to what they want.

I changed my 4 yr old, when she was 1, why, cause I didnt know how much safer it was to leave her RF   my 2 yr old got changed at 13 months, why, cause it made me feel safer, as I had to make a long trip alone with the 2 kids, and it was easier on me to see her to give her stuff, verse reaching over and under or pulling off the interstate every time I needed to had her something, then I just never changed her back, how ever we are on baby 3, and i plan to leave him/her rfing longer, but I planned that with my 2 yr old also, so we will see, things happen, and parents do what they feel is safer or what they havent been tought

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)