Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New carseat for my DD. Have a question. Update

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM
  • 27 Replies

Ok I have a question. Our daughter is currently in your typical RF carseat that comes with the combo stroller set but it maxs out at 20lbs. Well she is nearly 15lbs already  at just 3 months! and if she keeps growing at the rate she is she will out grow it fast! lol So Im wondering what a good convertible car seat that still RF past 20lbs is. I found one I like and it has good reviews except people said its bulky when RF so I need something that fits it my tiny car cause as much as I wish one would magically appear in my driveway a new car is not an option right now lol Oh and I have a 1999 Chevy Prizm which is just a small 4 door car but  even with her carseat behind the passenger seat now the seat has to be moved all the way up and  knees almost touch the dash. So Id like something that dosnt mean I have to move it further up. Budget: $150-$200 ( I want a nice one but not overly priced!)

Pics of them so I can see how the fit in your cars would be great too!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet.Kisses
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM

graco myride 65.

MeggerSmith
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Thanks but thats the one I read the reviews on and everyone said whiles its a great seat it is too bulky in there vehicles RF. And several people had SUVs 

Quoting Sweet.Kisses:

graco myride 65.

MeggerSmith
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Bump

jrp0606
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I would look at the Britax Roundabout 50 - its not as bulky as some but a super safe seat that fits in small cars well and is easy to use and easy to install and should keep your little one harness to close to 4 or 5 years old.

If you shop sales you can easily get the price down into the $150 range. 

http://www.hipmonkey.com/Britax-Roundabout-50_p_175.html?gclid=CKrziZGjgaACFZVj2godhAr0kQ

you can use coupon code 20THANKS to get 20% off from hip monkey.

Britax Roundabout 50

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

MeggerSmith
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Thanks! Is it safe for a 4-5 month old cause shes 3 months now and 15lbs so I have a feeling by then shell need it!

Quoting jrp0606:

I would look at the Britax Roundabout 50 - its not as bulky as some but a super safe seat that fits in small cars well and is easy to use and easy to install and should keep your little one harness to close to 4 or 5 years old.

http://www.hipmonkey.com/Britax-Roundabout-50_p_175.html?gclid=CKrziZGjgaACFZVj2godhAr0kQ

Britax Roundabout 50

Brays-mama
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Once you decide on the car seat you would like. check out the web site  http://www.babyage.com/        I just bought my son a new seat from there and got a heck of a deal on it. It was reg 179.00 and I got it for 99.99..and they have a standard shipping fee of 9.99....I just wanted to toss that out there to ya. I got a safety first seat for him and it fits really good in my jeep liberty and it fits very nicely in the middle of the back seat. The best part is it will hold him up to 100 lbs, has the five point harness, a recline feature, and it is a 3 in one. so we won't have to buy a new seat for a long time to come. He loves it to. he would get so fussy in his infant carrier because he is a big boy (18lbs 8oz and he is only 4 months). But now he loves to go bye bye again. LOL

MeggerSmith
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Thanks!

Quoting Brays-mama:

Once you decide on the car seat you would like. check out the web site  http://www.babyage.com/        I just bought my son a new seat from there and got a heck of a deal on it. It was reg 179.00 and I got it for 99.99..and they have a standard shipping fee of 9.99....I just wanted to toss that out there to ya. I got a safety first seat for him and it fits really good in my jeep liberty and it fits very nicely in the middle of the back seat.

Mom2jngnc
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Quoting MeggerSmith:

Thanks! Is it safe for a 4-5 month old cause shes 3 months now and 15lbs so I have a feeling by then shell need it!

Quoting jrp0606:

Britax Roundabout 50

She will probably last a lot longer than you think in her infant car seat. The "guideline" is that babies double their birthweight by 6 months old, but by 1 yr. only triple it. So after the first 6 months it typically slows.
Good luck finding something that fits comfortably in your car.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and naturally it's a dog."

jrp0606
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM

The best thing to do is try her in a britax convertible in store - they all have the same bottom harness height - as long as the harness is AT or below her shoulders she is safe.  Usually britax convertibles start to fit babies around 4 months so she should be good.

I would stay away from the safety first convertibles - they are usually difficult to install and won't last you nearly as long.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM

You can go to BRU and they will let you try the various carseats in your car to see what fits best. I have an Evenflo triumph and had one for my son when he was a baby. I drove a Dodge Stratus ar the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)