Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the difference between a backless and highback booster?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM
  • 12 Replies

I know that is probably a stupid question. I suppose I am really asking if a highback is better than a no back?  I am going out today to get my 2 year old a myride so she can rf again.  My oldest asked me for a new seat too.  (she is jealous I suppose) but it got me thinking about her seat.  She has a graco turbo booster (backless).  She is 5 years old 43 inches tall and 39 lbs.  I was wondering if her seat is even appropriate for her?  She buckles herself in and out no problem, but she can lean all around in the car and she tends to flop way forward when she falls asleep in the car. She will put a stuffed animal on her lap, lean forward and go to sleep all bent in half.  So is there something I should be doing to prevent this?  Can this be fixed without having a high back or do I need the high back for her?  The graco high back is about 60 bucks and I could get it while I'm out. Hubby thinks I am being totally rediculous, but I don't know.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ryan_n_me_plus3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM

i think she's old enough for a backless booster. idk tho u might want to try the carseat group. they are really nice & helpful

Tea4Tas
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

No booster will keep her from slumping.  I am biased, but I would go with a harnessed seat.

I have a regency-but they are pretty expensive. There are other EH seats that are cheaper.

Mine goes to 80 pounds (and still fits my 7 year old)

But for a girl who is smaller, a 65 pound limit one might be just as good.

I promised my son he can go ot a booster when he is 8 years old.

mommy806209
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Personally what I would do is buy a Natulius for her so that she can be back in a harness, since she sleeps in the car:~)

n03z07l08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Someone put up videos once showing a highback and backless inn an accident. There definitley was a differenve between the 2 but not much. I think shes probably fine with a backless but if your going to be buying a new seat for her anyway why not go with the highback?

grammarpolice
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

At her size, I wouldn't put her in a belt positioning (highback or backless) at all. I'd have her in a 5 point harness.

ColtonKeatonMom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM

They're right. I would get her a Graco Nautilus ($150..at Wal-Mart) or (and a better option) Britax Frontier.

The Nautilus harnesses to 65lbs. Then becomes a hiback booster, then backless booster. It's ok as a booster, but not great.

The Britax Frontier will harness until 80lbs and makes a high back booster. A better booster than the Nautilus. They run around $279.00. They're on sale at Target right now though.

Rainsmile
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Shes still tiny, my 15 month old is 26 lbs and 32 inches and still rearfacing in a my ride so maybe i am bias. But i would have her in a nautilus. My son will be in a five point till it maxes out even if it means i have to buy a britax that i could never afford lol .

Mom2jngnc
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM

A High back booster seat has guides on the sides, to help position a seatbelt in the correct place. Typical weights for High back start at 30#'s.

A backless (or even called low back) is ment to "boost" children up, but offers no guides to help with proper position of teh seatbelt. Weights are 40 to 100#'s.

My 10 yr. old rides in a Graco Turbo Backless, and my 7 yr. old rides in an Evenflo Big Kid High back (the "base" model, before they added the reading/gaming lamps).

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and naturally it's a dog."

jrp0606
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

ok the highback is on the inside.

A high back booster offeres more head ans side impact protection - the belt guide also helps keep the shoulder strap in place keeping the child in their seat.

The high back is on the inside.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

Mom2jngnc
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

My 2 yr. old has a Nautilus, we looked at it for our 45# 7 yr. old, and the "private" buckle was too tight.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and naturally it's a dog."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)