Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He did the dishes, but left 6 utensils for me to wash?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:53 AM
  • 38 Replies

So last night, after I made a nice dinner, my husband was helping me clean up.  Which was really nice of him.  He started doing the dishes (just the ones that we ate off, I cleaned up as I cooked, so it was pretty simple.)  Anyway, he does all the dishes, except for  6 utensils that he left for me.  He even said, there's some silverware in the sink for you to wash.  So it wasn't like he forgot or anything, he just left them there.  This is not the first time he's done this, like he'll wash a pot but leave the lid for me to clean.  I don't get it.  So I asked him about it.  His response was that he doesn't know why he leaves me some of it to do.  I told him that I was really grateful for the help, I was just confused as to why he'd leave me some dishes to do when it would take him literally 30 seconds to wash those last few.  He was a little mad at me for asking, and just walked away.  Does anyone else's DH do this?  I don't mind doing the dishes, that's fine.  Its just so weird.  It makes me feel like I'm a little kid that he's trying to teach to wash dishes or something.  It just feels condescending, and I don't know why.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
northernmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM

my DH just washes all the dishes, then dries and puts them away. i'm the one that is horrible about finishing them. but i don't leave them there intentionaly for him to wash.

KrystalY
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM

That is just weird.  Mine will occassionally leave a pan on the stove or something like that, but it is because he doesn't look around...  I've had to learn to put everything I want done in the sink.  LOL.  He doesn't leave random things just because though.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Sarahb21
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM

LOL! That is so funny. Seriously, 6 things? Silly silly. :) My Fiance doesn't do that, but he does tend to avoid whatever project or chore I ask him to do. For example. Last week I asked him to clean his desk, its always super cluttered and drives me CRAZY! He pretty much grabs his stack of papers, makes them into a nice neat stack. Then decides he wants to rearrange everything in the room. 2 hrs later the furniture is crazy, there is stuff everywhere and the desk is still messy. He does this kind of thing all the time. I don't understand it one bit.

r05373af
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:00 AM

my hubby washes the dishes and leaves all pots and pans, counters, stove, floor.  So i took him of dish detail and now he has trash, that he won't take out unless overflowing and he has bathrooms, i do those too, cause he waits a month to do.  love hubby, but useless around the house most of time. LOL.

MBargie

Honestly, I'd be happy if my DH did as much as yours, lol. Mine acts like he doesn't know how to do dishes most of the time.

stpalmsgirl

LOL men are so weird sometimes! My dh used to do this when we first got married and after a couple of times I asked him why he would do this every time and he said because he thought it was unfair if he had to do all of them alone. Well at that time I was still working a full time job, doing everything at home after work and cook while his ass was in training for either soccer or basketball all week long. So after he said that I did the same to him a couple of times with everything, when I cleaned I left him one bathroom to do, when I folded the laundry I left him half of it... After that you better believe he started doing all the dishes if he did them.

TristensMama06
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM

It seems condescending b/c it IS condescending! Excuse my language, but F*CK THAT! Leave the same utensils there so he can see that you refuse to submit to his childish games. You're right, it WOULDN'T kill him to do them! Did he forget that YOU cooked the meal AND cleaned up as you went?

UGH! What a childish punk!

Photobucket

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I've  noticed too, when my husband washes dishes he'll leave like the lids or some of the plastic bowls in the dishwater. Just walks off like he forgets he isn't done. lol I don't know why either it is confusing. I mean you're washing the dishes, why not finish them. lol

TristensMama06
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

If I could, I'd give this lady a "YOU ROCK" charm!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

LOL men are so weird sometimes! My dh used to do this when we first got married and after a couple of times I asked him why he would do this every time and he said because he thought it was unfair if he had to do all of them alone. Well at that time I was still working a full time job, doing everything at home after work and cook while his ass was in training for either soccer or basketball all week long. So after he said that I did the same to him a couple of times with everything, when I cleaned I left him one bathroom to do, when I folded the laundry I left him half of it... After that you better believe he started doing all the dishes if he did them.

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)