Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HELP!!! What is the best potty chair for a boy???

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

OK so I bought my 18 month old a potty chair the other day just so we will have one in the bathroom. We aren't potty training yet but DS did sit on it before he got in the bath tub the other night. I notice the hole in the seat is way too small. It has the boy guard on it but DS's penis is small so I don't see it being much help. My husband told me to push his penis down but Ds just giggles and wiggles when I do that so that's not going to work either. It looks like if he started to pee it would just shoot straight out of it and not go in it. Am I missing something here? What am I doing wrong? What is the best potty chair for a boy? And is there one with a bigger seat hole??

this is the one i bought

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starrymonkey
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

We had/have a similar problem.  Though DS was too well endowed for his chair - and I had to push his penis down so the guard would hold it in place, otherwise he was up and over the guard and the chair was pointless.  I ended up just buying him a seat for the toilet and using his chair as a stool.  At this point he still refuses to go though, and we're having some serious "playing in poop" issues the second he's alone in his room.  So IDK. 

CafeMom Tickers 

tattedmommynlj
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM

get one with out a pp guard or one that comes off.... and usually one you cant take apart is better lol  my son just took his apart... hed rather pee in the toilet. and my son is umm well endowed and the guard would smash his thing if we tried to push it down

judybant
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Easiest thing I've found is one of the little seats that clips into the regular toilet seat. It's got a bigger area, and my son automatically sat kind of scrunched over forward on it, so he always peed into the bowl.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM

that one pictured looks fine.  i got the fisher price one that sings and majorly regretted it.  the little cup thing that boys stick their penis in to pee down detached.  it would fall off all the time creating spray messes.  also teh songs were annoying and it was hard to clean.  i would get the borjn (sp) one if i had to get another because it is one piece.  easy to clean.  simple.  

acjadams
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM

with my ds he hated the little potty seat so i got him one of the seats that go on the toilet and it's shield is taller.

ronandamy1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM

my son wouldn't use a potty chair...he didn't like it. He liked the big boy potty and would sit on it backwards lol.

mommak78
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I haven't had any luck with any potty chairs for my DS. We had to go straight to the toilet. we bought him a littel step stool and put cheerios in the potty to aim at and it worked great!!

Mom2jngnc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I totally dislike that pottychair... lol I found it to be a PITA to take apart and clean.

I have a Graco in my main bathroom: Graco Soft Seat ($20 at Target). I take the guard off all potty chairs, the last thing you need is an "I gotta go now" to sit and hurt the parts on the guard. So I remove them off all potties. I teach my sons and I have 4, to point their penis down with 1 or 2 fingers, I start this when they start sitting on the potty. Grab a blue handle to remove and you can place the seat on a full size potty. Doubles as a step stool without any flipping over, or extra work. I can stand on it at 120#'s. I've had mine now since 2001.

Product Image Graco Soft Seat Trainer Potty Chair

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and naturally it's a dog."

realcaos
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

check out this one. i found it the other day and just couldnt believe it!! starts them out the right way though so you dont have to teach them twice i suppose. when my son was potty training we had to show him he had to hold it down.

http://www.amazon.com/Visionaire-1100-Peter-Toddler-Urinal/dp/B000C22J2S/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1266683104&sr=8-11

heavenlyangl420
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

my boys have this one and they love it. i got mine from walmart it like 11 or 13$

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)