Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone educate me? I feel dumb for asking but....

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have had to go back to work full time recently. As a result, I feel like I am making less breast milk than I should and I am having trouble pumping enough to meet my 6 month olds demands while I am away. We decided to supplement with goat's milk. I drank it from four months of age, my DD from 8 months of age.

I mentioned it to our dr yesterday at our 6 month appoinment and he said he would encourage us to back off because it's too high in sodium. I have heard that it's important to be careful with how much sodium babies take in, but never why. I know sodium can increase blood pressure, but why else should babies have as little as possible?

Thanks for enlightening my ignorance.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie

"Tolerance means I treat you with respect even when we totally disagree. You're a child of God. You're worthy of dignity. We may disagree, but we're going to tolerate each other, and even more than that, we can be friends. You're never going to please everybody. I don't need to agree with somebody in order to love them." - Rick Warren

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kk_bella
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Hmm....well, goats milk is high in potassium and it's potassium to sodium ratio actually makes it a food that helps combat high blood pressure.
Now, to answer your question, a diet high in sodium can lead to heart disease and kidney damage.

Mandafers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Thanks, that makes sense

25beengoodtome
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

My guess would be that sodium could be difficult for baby's kidneys . Have you thought about using soy milk or formula? My Granddaughter was on soy for a year. She was allergic to milk - even mom's milk. 

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and loving it!!
Mandafers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I have thought about that but I've heard that goat's milk is the closest to human breast milk and as I said, that's what I was on when I was a baby. Plus formula is just so much more expensive, about twice as much. But I certainly don't want to hurt my baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)