Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms to premeis

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM
  • 12 Replies

How far along were u when u had u baby and how well did they do being so young?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybug81999
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM

my baby girls were born at 28 weeks.  they did very well.  no major health problems.  they're little and needed to be in the hospital for 9 weeks and we had to monitor their breathing at home for several months.  lots of worry and precautions, but we never had a serious issue. *knocks on wood*

Don't quote me on this, but off the top of my head (oh man, did I ever become a premie expert during those long 9 weeks in the NICU..), at 28 weeks a baby has a 90% chance of survival.  Of that 90% that survive, 20% will have major health issues, 40% will have minor developmental problems, and 40% will have no long-lasting issues from their premature birth.

gkm15099
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM

My girls were born at 31 weeks, but being triplets, where the size of 28 to 29 weekers.  They weighed 3.4, 2.6, and 3.3 each. Baby A was the healthiest, but very lazy and stayed in the hospital for 49 days.  Baby C had brain bleeds and staph infection but came home first at 4 days.  Baby B was our sickest...She could not gain weight and lost down to 1.9 before we were able to get her to gain anything.  She had failure to thrive, staph infection, CDL, and anemia and she spent 60 days exactly in the NICU. 

Today they are healthy and happy 3 year olds.  They did have some speech and sensory issues, but they have all over them. 

Best of luck, Kimberly

AlyssaRob1416
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:58 AM

My daughter was 28 weeks. She has had her share of issues. She was discharged after 14 weeks and has a trach and some delays.

colesbabygirl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM

ok so iam 33 weeks and have been feeling funny iam worried that i might be in labor if i had him now how long would be be in the hospital and he would he do health wise

hautemama83
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM

My dd was born at 26 weeks, and only 1 lb 14 oz, anyway she did great. She was on room air from the day she was born, and even cried at birth. She never had any huge issues, aside from some minor digestive issues. Now she is almost 8 years old, and your normal kid.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
---Umberto Eco

fallnangel93
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

My babies were born at 33 weeks (twins)

They have done very well since. They just turned 4 last Sunday, and have no developmental delays or anything. They have always been right where they should be for their age.

fallnangel93
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Quoting colesbabygirl:

ok so iam 33 weeks and have been feeling funny iam worried that i might be in labor if i had him now how long would be be in the hospital and he would he do health wise

My 33 weekers were in the hospital for three weeks. I was told right off the bat not to expect them home until their due date, 7 weeks later, but they did so well they both got discharged early. One came home at 21 days, and the other one at 23 days.

PrettyInPink09
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM

My oldest DS was born 14 weeks early. He had no problems in the NICU and stayed caught up for his age at all his preemie appointments. :)

AlyssaRob1416
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Quoting colesbabygirl:

There really is no telling. Some kids will do really great and some won't. I have seen 32 weekers go home in a couple of weeks, but a 36 weeker stay a little longer. Preemies are very unpredictible. One is nothing like another.

kysmom642
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM

My little girl was 32 weeks. She did fine. She got to go home in less than2 weeks. She was above her percentile before 3 months. They were amazed at how well she did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)