Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you guilty of Generalization!?!?!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you guilty or NOT Guilty!

Options:

Guilty of Race

Guilty of Class

Guilty of Ideas

Guilty of them all

Guilty of some

NOT GUILTY

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

I see alot of moms on here be offended by being GENERLIZED into a mold they feel doesn't fit them, but then they turn around and do it to someone else. So I was wondering are you guilty?

Examples for those that don't know what I mean! (btw these are examples I have seen, I don't agree with them)

RACE Generalization.

All Asians can't drive

All Hispanics are lazy immigrants

All Whites are raciest

All Blacks are loud mouth 

All Mid-Easterners are terrorist

Gee I can't really think of anymore, I tried to think of at least one for each race but I can't for the life of me think cause I really don't think this way.

Or perhaps the Class ones

All Poor people are LAZY

All Rich people are selfish penny pincher's

Or the ideas one

All Extended anything people are Nazis about their Extended ways. (I group you all together weather its harness, breastfeeding, etc)

All parents that vaccinate are un-educated robots

All parents that don't vaccinate are murders if their children get sick or mine

I could go on but REALLY I can't think of any more.

g

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starrymonkey
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I'm sure I do some, but I don't think it's ever been to the extreme degrees you've listed.  For me, it's more...

If you're trying to force your beliefs on others while refusing to listen to them - I will assume you are a close-minded jerk.

If you walk into a grocery store with your pants around your ass, or spouting off at the mouth regardless of who is within earshot, I'll assume you're ignorant - I know it isn't always right, but at least I'm being honest about it.

Oh, and if you decided to tailgate me when I'm driving the speed limit, I will assume you want me to go slower.  Much, much slower.

CafeMom Tickers 

kk_bella
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I don't think that there is a person on this earth who has never generalised. But in general, I try to avoid generaltions :)

inspain
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Sure.  But, not of anything that isn't generally TRUE. 

laughing

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. - Bill Maher
snowpeasmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM

lol

Quoting inspain:

Sure.  But, not of anything that isn't generally TRUE. 

laughing

mommy2angels427
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I can't imagine myself saying something is true of a given group ALL the time... but to generalize things about groups of people based on what is true and well known.. of course... especially if there are valid, reliable statistics and studies to back the generalization up... 

Susan0805
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Heres one I just heard today all women who serve in the military are dumb skanks...grrrrr.

imthatgirl728
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I supopose sometimes.

I've never claimed "all"...but yeah I do have some generalizations that for me in my life and experiences have generally held up.

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM

okay I put all b/f I read your examples ... no not any of those race ones but others having to do with nationality etc. for sure.... like all Americans like bbq's, are dismissive/rude to those from other countries, act superior etc. or Europeans and South Americans and other certain countries are sucky tipper and/or treat wait staff and others in the hospitality bus. like shit; Latin men are machista etc.

I just automatically put yes b/c generalizations are all part of human nature... its part of communication, its evolutionary and nec.

As long as we realize that ALL have exceptions and that the majority are not true on an INDIVIDUAL basis but there are just so many contrdictions and exceptions etc. that in order for our brain to hold info we need a general umbrella.... not sure if i'm explaining things right.

amber0678
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

yes, i do. and thats all im going to say.

vintage_pearl4
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I do, and I have to stop myself sometimes.  Not about race, more about money.  I don't have any and I tend to avoid "rich" people.  It's not that I think badly of them, I just assume that they think badly of me and wouldn't want to be around me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)