Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can a carseat be installed safer foward facing than rear facing?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

I got new car seats ant they feel so much more secure front facing than they do rear facing....

is that just how they fit in my car or am I installing it wrong somehow?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jkrew
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM

what car seats do you have? what car do you have? How many kids, ages, and weights?

Forward facing installs can generally be easier because its straightforward, no angles ect.

Can you give me some more info on how they are not fitting correctly? Maybe a picture or two? Sometimes its just something little and I can probably talk you through it :)

jkrew
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I also wanted to add that when you test the tightness are you testing along the belt path? For rear facing there will be some movement along the top of the seat (which is normal and perfectly acceptable!!!!) you don't want more than 1 inch of movement along the belt path. When you test you should use your non-dominate hand and pull back and forth (don't use all your strength to do this 5-10lbs of pressure is good)

Idiosyncratic
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Quoting jkrew:

what car seats do you have? what car do you have? How many kids, ages, and weights?

Forward facing installs can generally be easier because its straightforward, no angles ect.

Can you give me some more info on how they are not fitting correctly? Maybe a picture or two? Sometimes its just something little and I can probably talk you through it :)

I have a chrysler town and country, It's a first years premiere true fit and  when I install them rear facing it feels like I can still slide the car seat around the seat, then when I install it front facing the car seat feels very secure

Idiosyncratic
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Quoting jkrew:

I also wanted to add that when you test the tightness are you testing along the belt path? For rear facing there will be some movement along the top of the seat (which is normal and perfectly acceptable!!!!) you don't want more than 1 inch of movement along the belt path. When you test you should use your non-dominate hand and pull back and forth (don't use all your strength to do this 5-10lbs of pressure is good)

yeah I've tried that but I can still move the seat like 3-4 inches, and the seat is a captain's chair in a mini van so does that change things?

tash11
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM

If you are unsure if you have it installed correctly you can get it inspected for free. check http://www.seatcheck.org/ for someone to do it for you. I always get mine checked because I don't feel like I can do it by myself.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM

When I install my carseats, I actually kneel on the seat and tug the straps in the angle that the strap is coming out of the buckle, if that makes sense. I found that if you don't go at the same angle, you wont get a tight enough install. I also use the rubber shelf lining under my seat so that it grips better.

dragonmommyj
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM

When we put ours in the captain's chairs we recline it a bit first which makes cinching it easier, and then we put the chair back all the way up and it really helps lock the seat in-and makes it easier to install.  Hope that helps.

jkrew
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I'm going to be honest and say I have no experience with the TFP (not a popular seat in my area lol) but I do have the captains chairs in a Chrysler Pacifica and I'd be willing to bet they are similar.

What I do when I'm installing a rfing seat is move the front seat up all the way so I can get in behind the car seat. I first attach the tethers then get in behind the seat and rock the seat from side to side while tightening the tether, at the same time with my hips I am pushing the seat forward and down into the seat. (I don't know if you can attach the head rest after the install or not but that would make it easier to install they way I'm describing)

Have you tried seat belt? Sometimes the seat belt will give a better install.

I know most techs don't recommend the shelf liner but my instructor did and we have it on hand at checks. I would use that as a last resort because that is not going to fix 2-3 inches of movement

jrp0606
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

what vehicle are you installing it in?

and are you using latch or a seatbelt?

can you post some pictures of it installed rearfacing for us?

Forward facing installs always feel tighter because the seat is secured at 3 points not 2.

you want to check for movement at the belt path - and you need less that one inch.

the top of the shell will move its supposed to.

What I usually do with truefits is get behing the seat and use my body weight to push it down and towards the back of the vehicle while at the same time tightening the belt.

make sure you have the belt through the lock offs and get it as tight as you can then have someone else close the lock off while you are still putting pressure on the seat.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)