Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car Seat Questions

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

My 1st question is how do I safely install a carseat in a vehicle where the seat is so narrow that car seat falls off the seat? It is buckled in, but as soon as the brakes are hit, it slides forward less than an inch, well, that tiny bit causes the front to slide off the seat. Any ideas? The vehicle is a 1997 Chevy Sliverado. It's my dad's truck.

My 2nd question is about HHB. My cousin gave me her old car seat which has 2 slots for straps to harrness, then changes into a HHB. My son is still on the bottom slots, his shoulders are not yet at the top slots. His head is only about 2 inches from the top though. So, how exactly does this work?

So, I guess my son will die in a car accident, since no one can even give this a bump.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM

bump

krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

So, no one has any advice?

krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Wow, not even a bump, thanks ladies
krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Someone will eventually have an answer, or atleast a bump

krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Please, someone??

brittany89
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM

for the first question you would have to find a narrower seat. sunshine kids radians are really narrow.

for the second question. the harness needs to  be at or above his shoulders. once his shoulders are above the top slot you cant use the harness any longer.

brittany89
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM

oh and make sure when you install it it doesnt move more than a inch at the belt path

mommywsej
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I dont have any answer but here is a bump.

jenniepepsi
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:28 PM

i personally dont like using the convertable seats as boosters. they dont do a good job. i would spend the 40 bucks on an accuall boster instead.

as for the fitting problem, brittany is right, the sunshine radian are great for smaller seats.

jrp0606
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Quoting krystlzd3:

My 1st question is how do I safely install a carseat in a vehicle where the seat is so narrow that car seat falls off the seat? It is buckled in, but as soon as the brakes are hit, it slides forward less than an inch, well, that tiny bit causes the front to slide off the seat. Any ideas? The vehicle is a 1997 Chevy Sliverado. It's my dad's truck.

Is it an extended cab or are you trying to put the car seat on jump seats?

You CAN NOT install a car seat on those seats that fold down.  As long as its a full seat you just need to you use a locking clip to lock the seatbelt.  You usually get one with a car seat when you buy it - but if you can't find it then you can buy one from babies r us for a couple dollars.

Here is a site explaining how to use a locking clip.

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

you are going to have to add in the locking clip step I can't find a forward facing install using a locking clip video but here is a video showing how to install a carseat forward facing.

My 2nd question is about HHB. My cousin gave me her old car seat which has 2 slots for straps to harrness, then changes into a HHB. My son is still on the bottom slots, his shoulders are not yet at the top slots. His head is only about 2 inches from the top though. So, how exactly does this work?

OK the first thing you need to check is if it has been in an accident also check the date of manufacter and you need to check the recall list to make sure it hasn't been recalled.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

How old is your son?  and how much does he weigh? and how tall is he?

Forward facing the harness needs to be AT or ABOVE his shoulders.  The harness is outgrown when his shoulders are over the top harness slot - or he reaches the weight limit.

If you have the seat I think you have I would start saving for a new seat now - because that seat is typically outgrown before kids are ready to sit in a booster seat.

So, I guess my son will die in a car accident, since no one can even give this a bump.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)