Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone help me find info...please??? please...this is important, thanks!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok so I'm on a computer that has very limited access to the computer...basically I can't google.

I need information about what the legal age to stay home alone and babysit siblings(half siblings not sure if that matters)...in MA.

My friend is going through a custody battle and just found out that the mother of his children has been leaving her oldest child,12(she does not have custody of this child he spends every other weekend with her) alone with his kids (3,7 and8) every night this week(school vacation). She's been leaving the house around 7ish and coming home at 3-4am.

He literally just found this out 10 minutes ago from my husbands sister who is friends with the 12yo. His siter felt like she needed to tell someone even thought he 12yo didn't want her to.

He's trying to get a hold of his lawyer....but until then he doesn;t want to call the cops until he knows the legallities of this.

Help if you can...please????

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl728
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM

bump

seffiepoo
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

why not call the police station and ask.

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

no idea. bump

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

It's recommended that no child under 12 be home alone, but it's not a law.  From looking around, I don't see where MA has a law about it.

lenoxclan
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Everything I googled saids MA doesn't have a legal age to be left home alone or babysit...

i.heart.rachel

Even if 12 is the legal age, that's TOO LONG and something needs to be done. How was this information found out? Can it be proven?

imthatgirl728

Thank you. I didn;t think they did. I don;t think there is anything he can do....but I couldn't look it up. thanks for your help.

Quoting jillbailey26:

It's recommended that no child under 12 be home alone, but it's not a law.  From looking around, I don't see where MA has a law about it.

hautemama83
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I believe it depends on the state, but as far as I know its 14 to babysit over night in most states.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
---Umberto Eco

imthatgirl728
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM

It's fact. I know it is. Last night my sil(14) was talking to the 12yo on facebook(been friends for years) and he was freaking out. Saying this is the 6th night in a row his mom has left him alone with the kids. He wasn;t sure if he could call is dad(who has custody of him)...then told her not to tell anyone.

She's a smart kid...she called my husband today.

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Even if 12 is the legal age, that's TOO LONG and something needs to be done. How was this information found out? Can it be proven?

alexhuntercody
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM

here its just dependent on maturity level. Its recommended 12.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)