Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Microdermabrasion...Is it worth it?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have suffered from acne for sooooo long and I have always hated myself because of it. I have terrible scars. Have you or someone you know had it done and does it help?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trittersmama
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Chemical peels is a much better way to go

srkpatton241
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Hmm, havnt heard of chemical peels. I'll have to look into them as well

liss7208
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM

depends on how deep your scars are...microderm is only going to exfoliate the surface of the skin. it cannot penetrate any deeper. does it do a great surface exfoliation? yes but dramatic results-no. i agree with previous poster about chemical peels. a sereies can do wonderful things and peels actually penetrate the outermost layer of skin and sometimes down to live tissue. the best way to explain would be if you are getting ready to paint the outside of your house-one might sandblast to prep the wood (lol whatever your gonna paint) and then you treat the new. microderm would be the sandblast. so you might do a round of microderm followed by a series of peels. however if the scars are down to the dermis the only thing that will make a difference is laser.

srkpatton241
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Wow! You know what you're talking about, lol. Thank you for the help!

Quoting liss7208:

depends on how deep your scars are...microderm is only going to exfoliate the surface of the skin. it cannot penetrate any deeper. does it do a great surface exfoliation? yes but dramatic results-no. i agree with previous poster about chemical peels. a sereies can do wonderful things and peels actually penetrate the outermost layer of skin and sometimes down to live tissue. the best way to explain would be if you are getting ready to paint the outside of your house-one might sandblast to prep the wood (lol whatever your gonna paint) and then you treat the new. microderm would be the sandblast. so you might do a round of microderm followed by a series of peels. however if the scars are down to the dermis the only thing that will make a difference is laser.

liss7208
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Quoting srkpatton241:

Quoting liss7208:

lol i hope so...i fixing to take my state boards for my esthetician license.

srkpatton241
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Well I'm glad I had a professional answer my question! Lol. I just read that my gym's salon/spa has a deal with a microdermabrasion session and a series of chemical peels. That's what I'm gonna do thanks to you!

Quoting liss7208:

Quoting srkpatton241:

Quoting liss7208:

lol i hope so...i fixing to take my state boards for my esthetician license.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I used the home version from TV but I know there is a version of it you can get from walmart for 40 bucks. It works really well, but it takes a while.

As much of the creme you have to buy to do the trick at home you might as well get it done professonally.

Lauriemom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM

How expensive is a chemical peel? 

liss7208
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM

its always good to let the esthetician look at your skin to determine what will be best for you. they will be able to determine if your skin is a good candidate for microderm in the first place. some people cannot have it-for example if you are prone to hyperpigmentation bc it can cause it. i would set up a consultation and tell your tech what you are wanting to achieve and they can recommend whats best! good luck!

Quoting srkpatton241:

Well I'm glad I had a professional answer my question! Lol. I just read that my gym's salon/spa has a deal with a microdermabrasion session and a series of chemical peels. That's what I'm gonna do thanks to you!

Quoting liss7208:

Quoting srkpatton241:

Quoting liss7208:

lol i hope so...im fixing to take my state boards for my esthetician license.

sagi6666
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM

My daughter takes 500mg Cephalexan (Keflex) prescribed from the doctor due to her breaking out really bad on her back...She takes it 2 times a day and was given 6 refills...Seems to do the trick for she cleared right up...Only thing is, it's an antibiotic and it can create a yeast infection after taking them so long, therefor you can follow it up with an OTC med called Monistat which is a creme you can find in the pharmacy isle at your nearest Walmart or local store...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)