Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

booster seats

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

DOES any one know the age a child needs to be before going into a booster??

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
missymommyof1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:43 PM

not sure i think the law is 4 and 40 pounds at least here it is my dd is almost 4 so she is in one

brittany89
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:44 PM

the mininum is 4 years and 40 lbs. but a 5 ponth harness is safer. they need to be mature enough to sit still and upright the entire time and everytime they use it.

MommyJ0697
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:44 PM

IL is 4 and 40lbs until 8 and 60lbs

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Between 5 and 6 is best.

jrp0606
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

you want to keep them harness for as long as they fit.

Its important for a booster to fit correctly and be used correctly everytime.

Remember every step up in car seats is a step down in safety.

Most techs agree that the BEST booster is the one that fits YOUR child and YOUR vehicle.  Just because a booster didn't make it on the list does not make it "bad".  Its important that before you buy a booster or any child restraint you try it out in your vehicle with your child.

Boosters are designed to raise a child up to allow the seat belt to fit them correctly, high back boosters also offer a degree of side impact protection.  A recent study from Indiana University School of Medicine showed that approx 2/3 of booster seats are being used incorrectly endangering childrens lives.  More info can be found here.

So here is some Booster 101

* Booster seats should NEVER be used with just the lap belt only, or with the shoulder belt placed under the arm or behind the back.

* If there is no headrest you MUST us a highback booster to provide some head support in an accident.

* You should never use a booster seat with a child under 4 years old and 40lbs.

* The lap belt should fit across the upper thighs and the shoulder belt should fit flat against the childs shoulder and across the middle of the shoulder.

*  Some boosters do not fit every child correctly which is why it is important to try your child in the booster seat before you buy it.

note how the lap belt is on her belly and the shoulder belt is off her shoulder.

* How your child sit also effects how a booster fits.  If your child tends to cross their legs or put their feet up on the seat in front it can push the lap belt out of positions.  Also if your child tends to slump or lean in their seat it can push the belt out of position.  If your child does this you should consider keeping them in a 5 point harness until they can sit correctly.

* This chart is from a 2004 study by the University of Michigan (http://surgery.med.umich.edu/portal/clinical/booster/), it shows how child restrain use goes down as children get older, just as injuries increase. 

Some good links for more information are below.

Safekids response to the IIHS research can be found here 

Dorels had the most seats on the not recommended list here is their response.

When can a child ride with out a booster?  find out here.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

elly25
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Depends on the size of your child.What state that you live in and what the booster seat that you have says on it.Most go into a booster at age three to four years of age.My son went into one at age four.He's almost eight years old now and still in one.

jrp0606
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM

just so you can see the difference between a harness and a booster here are some crash test videos

there are seats that can keep kids harnessed all the way up to 7 or 8 years old now.

these were done with a 6 year old dummy weighing 51lbs in a frontal impact at 35mph.

This one shows a high back and a low back booster

this shows a 6 year old 51lb pound dummy harnessed also a frontal impact at 35 pmh.

I'm Jessi, 28 year old SAHM to one crazy three year old Austin, currently harnessed in a Britax Frontier.  I'm a Child Passanger Safety Technician (CPST).  We only get one chance in a motor vehicle accidents, the decisions you make can save your childs life.  To find out more follow me here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)