Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating the Placenta? **UPDATE with Pictures on page 6 of Encapsulating Process**

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM
  • 497 Replies

I know of encapsulating the placenta, and eating a piece if you are hemorrhaging.  I was wondering today, as I dehydrate my placenta...

It looks kind of like liver.  It smells kind of like liver as it drys.  I found myself, as I cooked lunch for the kids, thinking about how it smelled kind of good.  Then, due to the stigma of the placenta = yucky, I thought about how gross that was.  Then I wondered why I thought yuck, and if anyone here has eaten their placenta?  Like if anyone has cooked it up and eaten it?  If so, was it good?  Does it also taste like liver?  Just curious.  I don't think I'm brave enough to eat it (like main dish - LOL), but I am excited to get to encapsulate it and take it in that form.  :) How many moms here have done something with your placenta? 

Benefits Include:

• Increase general energy
• Allow a quicker return to health after birth
• Increase production of breast milk
• Decrease likelihood of baby blues and post natal depression
• Decrease likelihood of iron deficiency
• Decrease likelihood of insomnia or sleep disorders

There are a variety of potential benefits to placentophagy. For one, the placenta contains vitamins and minerals that may help fight depression symptoms, such as vitamin B6. For another, the placenta is considered rich in iron and protein, which would be useful to women recovering from childbirth, and a particular benefit to vegetarian women.

Research on placentophagy is still in its infancy, although there is a large body of research beginning to develop on postpartum hormone fluctuations and health. Researchers from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) conducted a study that focused on CRH (Corticotropin-Releasing Hormone). CRH is a stress reducer, and is generally produced by the hypothalamus. During the last trimester of pregnancy, the placenta secretes so much CRH that the levels in the bloodstream increase threefold. However, it was also discovered that postpartum women have lower than average levels of CRH, triggering depressive symptoms.(1) They concluded that the placenta secreted so much CRH that the hypothalamus stopped producing it. Once the placenta was born, it took some time for the hypothalamus to get the signal that the CRH levels were low, and to begin producing it again. This is just another sign that there is likely a biological cause for the baby blues, directly related to hormone levels.

Interestingly enough, in 1954, researchers conducted a study on 210 women who were expected to have insufficient milk supply. They gave dried placenta to the women, and discovered that 86% of them had a positive increase in their milk production within a matter of days.

http://www.ocdoulas.com/placenta_encapsulation_services.htm

http://placentamom.weebly.com/

******************************************************************************************************

I don't have any problem with those saying 'Yuck' and that it's 'Nasty'.  I was at that same place at the beginning, and middle, of this pregnancy.  It wasn't until a couple months before she was born that I decided to do this.  It took me over a week after to get past the visual 'Yuck' factor.  I then began thinking about how I had so many 'firsts' for this pregnancy.  It was my first unassisted pregnancy and birth.  It was going to be my first water birth (but we couldn't due to water issues).  I wanted to try this as well.  I want more babies, and I could have always tried it with the next, but who knows when the last baby will be.  I might not be able to have any more, and then I would never have experienced this.  That almost brought me to tears when I thought about it the day before I got it encapsulated.  If anything, I could use the natural 'energy' boost. 

I am amazed at the wonders of the body and of what God provides us with.  This organ was there for my baby.  It fed her, nourished her, gave her life.  I birthed it and delivered it myself.  I caught it.  I felt the wonder and amazement of thelife-force that it was.  It is now nourishing her again.  I take it in pill form.  It helps me, and it then goes back to her through my milk.  It is the one last thing that I can do for both of us with this wonderful organ.  Nobody had to die for it.  I am only doing what God provided me with.  A natural medicine that has amazing properties and abilities.  Is it ugly?  Is it gross?  Should it just be thrown away like a piece of trash?  Some say yes.  That is fine.  There is something about it that makes me feel like I have finally done all I can, with what I was given, to care for myself and my baby.  I don't expect everyone to agree.  Frankly, I was amazed at the number of positive responses.  I want to thank all of you who posted, both for and against.  You are all welcome toexpress your feelings on the subject.  As I said before, I was there too.  DH is still there.  :)  You are all free to express your feelings on the subject.  I want to say, 'Thank You' to those who are taking the time to be open minded enough to know it is, or is not, for you but see where I might be coming from. 

Here are the photos of the process on page 6.  They are the actual photos of the placenta, so if you don't want to see them,  DON'T LOOK.

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxy85
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Wait, what are you doing with the placenta?

emt088
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM

um.. beyond my experience range.. heres a bump for you..

tracey111005
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Quoting roxy85:

kelly_d_m
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM

ur really going to eat it ???

mommam58122
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM

why would anyone want to eat the placenta? that just makes me wanna barf.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Quoting roxy85:

You dehydrate it and put it in capsules.  It is very beneficial, and helpful during the postpartum period.  In the postpartum period, placenta capsules can be used to

Placenta Capsules may also help:
     - You to recover more quickly from birth
     - To bring the body back into balance
     -
Prevent the "baby blues"
     - Shorten postpartum bleeding

- Assist the uterus to return to size

- Increase postpartum iron levels

sxybxmami
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I heard about that!  My mother told me that some women eat it, but I haven't done it.  I don't know anyone that has sorry =(.  Here's a bump for you

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Quoting kelly_d_m:

ur really going to eat it ???

Only in pill form.  So I guess I'm not 'eating' it, but just swallowing it.  :)

MamaSusieQ045
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

im confused what is encapsulating it? what do you do with it?

crazymama2kids
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM

throwing up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)