Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A different kind of question for breastfeeding moms

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM
  • 11 Replies
My son is 10 1/2 months old. We have been fortunate to brastfeed this long. But I do have a question. When he is nursing, he has this p session with trying to put his fingers in my mouth. What's up with that? Also, he grips the rest of my breast in his fist while nursing. Sometimes that can be very painful ESP if he is due to get his nails trimmed lol. Anyone else go thru these things?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubbbaNbabygirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM

yes  it is completly normal! my daughter does both. she has a little 'snuggly' just a small blanky that she caries around, if i give her this she usually will play with it and leave mommy alone... for a minute! She also likes to sit up and nurse now, with her legs on either side of me and she'll play with her toes!!! too darn cute :)    also have you heard of a nursing necklace? that might distract him a little...

Quoting MommySwiggles:

My son is 10 1/2 months old. We have been fortunate to brastfeed this long. But I do have a question. When he is nursing, he has this p session with trying to put his fingers in my mouth. What's up with that? Also, he grips the rest of my breast in his fist while nursing. Sometimes that can be very painful ESP if he is due to get his nails trimmed lol. Anyone else go thru these things?

acaisha
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM

yes my children all did that.. I think they are just entertaining themselves. My toddler when he was breast feeding would grab and squeeze my boob over and over gently. It took me months when he was finnally weaned to stop him from sticking his hand down my shirt to squeeze my boob LOL kinda embarrassing out in public

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM
Quoting bubbbaNbabygirl:

yesย  it is completly normal! my daughter does both. she has a little 'snuggly' just a small blanky that she caries around, if i give her this she usually will play with it and leave mommy alone... for a minute! She also likes to sit up and nurse now, with her legs on either side of me and she'll play with her toes!!! too darn cute :)ย ย ย  also have you heard of a nursing necklace? that might distract him a little...

Quoting MommySwiggles:

No, what is a nursing necklace?

bubbbaNbabygirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM

pretty much just a long chunky necklace... you can buy them or make one. it is used as kind of a distraction for baby... something else for him to play with while nursing, instead of you!! I did try one with my daughter but it just ticked her off! lol she'd try and pull it off and if i just gave it to her to hold she'd try and stick it in her mouth, so it kinda defeated the purpose of getting her to nurse better! but it does work well for many babies/toddlers

Quoting MommySwiggles:

.. oops i quoted the wrong thing..... :)

serioussifL
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Yup. I had bruises and nail marks on my boobs for months.. it looked horrible. Unfortunatly I have no idea how you can stop it, other than a nursing necklace.

Swtmama62205
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM

oh my son would put his fingers in his mouth all the time it drove me nuts.  I tried everything to get him to stop. 

sexygreeneyez91
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM

My baby is only a week old so I don't have that problem yet. But maybe you can give him a toy to play with? I dunno

TempestRayne
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM

yep, kids that age grab for what they see and want to figure out, hence the fingers in your mouth.  As far as grabbing the boob, it's normal, i just don't know why they do it. make a nursing necklace to give him something else to focus on.

06NavyWife
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM

My daughter did both. I would just pull her hand out of her mouth or stop nursing, so she had to choose. As for the grabbing of boobs I would hold her hand. GL

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM
Quoting 06NavyWife:

My daughter did both. I would just pull her hand out of her mouth or stop nursing, so she had to choose. As for the grabbing of boobs I would hold her hand. GL

lol it's my mouth he puts his fingers in. Sorry bout all of the typos, I am using my iPod. Any way he also likes to put his feet on my chin and my chest lol I am going to look into these nursing necklaces

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)