Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you organize your children's toys? If you have a pic that would be nice

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

I wonder how some of the moms here organize their children's toys and be able to keep a clean home?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
25beengoodtome
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Book shelves Boxes(fit in shelves) to hold the smaller toys. Stack the games on shelves beside the books. DVD  and VHS movies stood up   same as books, soldier style, one  against the next, filling the space. Dolls and other "action" toys can sit on a shelf. 

Some of those Under - the -bed storage boxes are your best friend for Misc. small toys.

~Marie - I'm Absolutely ADDICTED TO CAFEMOM - and loving it!!
aidensema
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM

we have two large bins full of toys. i sort out the legos and mega blocks into one, the other one holds all the other toys, the puzzles and things of that nature go on the window sill.

Ajanee12
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM

well we have three toy boxes 1 is just stuffed animals, a book shelf, plus he has a ton of large toys  that are around his room neatly ie: john deere pedal tractor, hot wheels big wheel, his huge tool bench, a fisher price front of a house, and i jumpy horse. Hes 2 :)

Mommy to Kain  08/22/2007 and Fiance' to Richard

Baby #2

ZoeCY
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I was just going to post something similar because we are trying to figure out our 2 year old's play area.  So far we have a tall bookcase with 5 shelves; on top is the play-doh and fingerpaints, 2nd shelf down are her nicer books that we read together, middle shelf puzzles and crayons, 4th shelf kids DVDs, bottom shelf 2 rubbermaid baskets with her insryments and don't know what else yet.

Then we have something like this

Product Image ECR Plastic Toy Organizer with 12 Bins

and each bin has a specific thing.  There is one for dollhouse stuff, one for animals, etc.

Then we have a shelf that used to be in our store and had newspapers on it, haven't quite figured out anything for that yet.  Then of course there is also a short bookshelf that is probably like 6 ft long and two shelves high for her books.  Right now we just have the stuffed animals in a gigantic rubbermaid tote.  I also haven't figured out what to do with her blocks yet, there are a ton of them.  Oh and the play food and dishes for her kitchen are mostly in drawers next to the kitchen itself.  Her big things (strollers, shopping cart, etc.) will be parked in front of one of the windows

Sorry that was a little in depth and scatterbrained, we are just starting to work on it so I had to keep going in there to refresh my memory haha. 

Mom2jngnc
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:13 PM

There is one... but I have 3 or 4 shelves like this. Plus a very large plastic drawer under their bed that holds matchbox cars. The "toy box" only holds legos (yes, my sons have that many legos).

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and naturally it's a dog."

serioussifL
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I got one of those plastic tubs and I put the toys in it. The books and puzzles I stack in front of it.

WLNL0507
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM

They were nice and organized until my inlaws came and took over the apartment. Now My clothes are all stuffed in one of their closets. And the toys although straightened out daily are ALL OVER the room. I give up cleaning their room until I can put stuff back where it belongs.

tatar
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Nice! This is something that I might try for his little toys, thanks! It's a good way to avoid dusts from getting inside the toys since my son is allergic to dusts. I see you have a leapster and a pirate Ship. My son has them as well. He has two pirate ships that I don't know where to put since they're big. Also some matchbox racing tracks and tons of thomas the train tracks.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

There is one... but I have 3 or 4 shelves like this. Plus a very large plastic drawer under their bed that holds matchbox cars. The "toy box" only holds legos (yes, my sons have that many legos).

tatar
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Wow! It's nice that you have a place where to put your child's toy. It gave me some ideas. Drawers are great. i was thinking to do the same thing. Thanks for the great ideas!

Quoting ZoeCY:

I was just going to post something similar because we are trying to figure out our 2 year old's play area.  So far we have a tall bookcase with 5 shelves; on top is the play-doh and fingerpaints, 2nd shelf down are her nicer books that we read together, middle shelf puzzles and crayons, 4th shelf kids DVDs, bottom shelf 2 rubbermaid baskets with her insryments and don't know what else yet.

Then we have something like this

Product Image ECR Plastic Toy Organizer with 12 Bins

and each bin has a specific thing.  There is one for dollhouse stuff, one for animals, etc.

Then we have a shelf that used to be in our store and had newspapers on it, haven't quite figured out anything for that yet.  Then of course there is also a short bookshelf that is probably like 6 ft long and two shelves high for her books.  Right now we just have the stuffed animals in a gigantic rubbermaid tote.  I also haven't figured out what to do with her blocks yet, there are a ton of them.  Oh and the play food and dishes for her kitchen are mostly in drawers next to the kitchen itself.  Her big things (strollers, shopping cart, etc.) will be parked in front of one of the windows

Sorry that was a little in depth and scatterbrained, we are just starting to work on it so I had to keep going in there to refresh my memory haha. 

cookmom69
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 3:38 AM

I use stacking drawers, the plastic kind you buy in the storage aisle. Anyway each drawer has a specific item like one for legos, one for cars, one for action heros another for misc. happy meal toys. I have book cases for larger toys and books. I also have bins for art supplies and playdough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)