Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Something to be said for lemon, baking soda and vinager!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

I started reading this book recently called "The Naturally Clean Home" about using safe and easy herbal formulas to clean your home. Now before you stop reading thinking eh whatever you hippy LOL I just wanted to share some of the stats in this book that scared me. Esp BREAST FEEDING MOMS (and I am one!) should check this out.

90% of accidental posionings happen in the home : More then seven million cases are reported every year. 14,000 A DAY!

The air in the average home has contamination levels 70 times higher then the air outside.

Half of all illnesses in the USA can be attributed to chemical contamination of indoor air. EPA reports that household cleaners are 3x's more likely to cause cancer then outdoor air pollution

Women who work at home are 55 % more likely to develop cancer then women who spend the majority of their time outside the home

Consumer product safety commission has determined that more then 150 chemicals found in ordinary household products are directly responsible for cancer, allergies, birth defects, and psychological disorders.

Studies have shown that male sperm count has dropped by more then half since 1938. Prior to the boom of chemical industrialization a healthy adult male produced millions of sperm per millilitre of. In 1975 the average adult male produced only 102 million on average and in 1992 only a mere 51 million. Imagine what it is now?

A nine year study on breast milk from 139 nursing women of infants suffering from a variety of disorders requiring hospitalization found high levels of PCBs in their breast milk.

And the real kicker

ONLY ONE IN FIVE of the FOUR MILLION household chemicals created since 1915 have been actually tested for adverse health effects on humans.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiegirl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Whats scary is the last one posted, one in five of 4 million have been tested for adverse health effects on humans. SCARY

acaisha
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Yah I have slowly been moving away from using stuff in my home. I am going challenge myself to go a whole month cleaner free to see if i can do it.

deeders949
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM

scary...

omgamomie
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Yup, I got rid of all cleaners in my house. Only carpet stuff, toilet cleaner and shower cleaner are left.Once those are gone it will be vinegar and baking soda only. I think vinegar cleans better than reg cleaner. Been doing it for a week and very happy with the results so far. 

norahsmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I have been using baking soda, vineger, lemon juice, salt, washing soda and borax for cleaning for almost 2 years now. I have been very pleased with the natural cleaners. I am a total neat freak. I clean the bathrooms and floors and vaccum every day. It occured to me that since I don't like to wear gloves while cleaning I could be absorbing lots of weird crud.  So I started making my own cleaners.  The work really well, just as good as the cleaners in the store.  I had an urge to buy some clorox cleanup the other day and I hate it! Not only does it stink horribly, it hurts my hands and I ruined a couple of shirts while cleaning with it.  It also leaves an annoying residue on everything.  I went back to my home made stuff. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

norahsmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM

we use vineger and borax for the toilet, vineger and baking soda with a bit of dish soap for the tub and shower walls, and vineger/water/bakingsoda/drop of dish soap combo for carpet stains. It gets stains out just as good as 'resolve' and doesnt stink. 

Quoting omgamomie:

Yup, I got rid of all cleaners in my house. Only carpet stuff, toilet cleaner and shower cleaner are left.Once those are gone it will be vinegar and baking soda only. I think vinegar cleans better than reg cleaner. Been doing it for a week and very happy with the results so far. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

mom2four1978
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I have been using natural cleaners since my son was in the NICU. I realized at that time that they were cleaning with vinegar. The nurse told me all about how bad chemical cleaners are, especially for those with weak lungs and other lung conditions. She also told me that vinegar kills more kinds of bacteria than bleach.

You should check out how bad using fabric softener is.

~ LIZZY~

To find out what all the fuss is about click the heart:

mom2four1978
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I put vinegar in my carpet cleaner and it does an awesome job.

Quoting norahsmommy:

we use vineger and borax for the toilet, vineger and baking soda with a bit of dish soap for the tub and shower walls, and vineger/water/bakingsoda/drop of dish soap combo for carpet stains. It gets stains out just as good as 'resolve' and doesnt stink. 

Quoting omgamomie:

~ LIZZY~

To find out what all the fuss is about click the heart:

RmeWifey01
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Interesting. I started using vinegar to clean the mirrors and sink tops with yesterday. Mainly b/c I ran out of bleach. I have been using baking soda in the wash in addition to laundry soap for about 2 weeks now. It seems to work. How the heck do you make the house 'smell pretty' though? I mean vinegar stinks and b/s has no smell,and lemons are kinda sticky. So????

sharivegas0614
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

Interesting. I started using vinegar to clean the mirrors and sink tops with yesterday. Mainly b/c I ran out of bleach. I have been using baking soda in the wash in addition to laundry soap for about 2 weeks now. It seems to work. How the heck do you make the house 'smell pretty' though? I mean vinegar stinks and b/s has no smell,and lemons are kinda sticky. So????

This I would like to know too...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)