Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SCIENCE DIET

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

Okay, so this is a vent post - so please excuse my irrational thinking right now but I freaking HATE science diet!  I am diligent on making sure my pets recieve the best food that they can... we used to live in a city where we had  greater access, but now everything is online only - the nearest petco is 2 hours away and the shipping is ridiculous.  Plus, our local small minded vet says science diet is the best!  Our yorkie is still taking 1/2 canned, 1/2 dry and the science diet canned has corn as the 2nd ingrident!  Eukanuba has corn in it's dry food - but even their canned food is corn free!  I told him about my preferred foods and he says it is all a way to make money.  WTH?  Science diet is $2.50 a can at his office - the all natural, corn free, grain free, organic foods are less than that.  I bitched so much that he sent me home with a free case of science diet puppy cans.  It is so nasty looking... And I can't believe all the corn!  I am seriously contemplaiting a trip to Corpus tommorow just to buy food!  (oh, and puppy litter as well)... 

I hope that one day WalMart will carry a premium corn free puppy food!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensema
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:22 PM

omg.ew. those science diet canned foods are NASTY. my sister feeds them to her dog due to his kidney stones and it looks and smells HORRIBLE. science diet isnt even the best food out there, did you try eukanuba (sp?!). its one of the best foods out there and im pretty sure that walmart carries them.

Natesmom62906
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:24 PM

We feed our Chihuahua Iams Small Puppy dry food.

deeders949
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:25 PM

do you have a tractor supply or a co-op thats where we buy ours....

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:25 PM

unfortunately, vets do not learn as much about nutrition as they should.  I love my vets and trust them completely but they are the last people i go to for food advise.   I ended up doing a lot of research on my own as a teen(and continue to educate myself on the differrant foods) because i had a golden retriever with Allergies out the wazoo and her diet at the time was not helping her.   I don't normally feed my dogs wet food, but when i have had to, i really like Merricks.

-xoxo-
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I just took my puppy to the vet and noticed that their shelves only had Science Diet on them. They also gave me a free sample, which was nice, but the 1st ingredient was corn. It's not that great of a food, there are much much better foods out there. 

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Quoting aidensema:

omg.ew. those science diet canned foods are NASTY. my sister feeds them to her dog due to his kidney stones and it looks and smells HORRIBLE. science diet isnt even the best food out there, did you try eukanuba (sp?!). its one of the best foods out there and im pretty sure that walmart carries them.

Unfortunetly, that is not really true

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=107&cat=all

AMom29
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I just found a bag of Purina One made from salmon, if you can believe it.  No by-products.  It's awesome.  Her skin and coat already look better.  It was the best food I could find at Wally World. 

Never tried Science Diet, but I hear it's bad.

You could always make your own food for the dog.

aidensema
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:32 PM

oops my bad. when i worked at petland discounts they always told us that was the best, never did any research on it because i dont have a dog only a cat who has eaten the same food for almost 7 years untill last year.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Quoting aidensema:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=107&cat=all

two4one
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I never buy at the vet's office. The ysell what they sell because they get a commission. I feed my pets Nutro.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I work at a vet so there are constanly staff meeting with these companies who are there telling us why their food are so great.  They want us to sell their food.  Iams, Eukanuba, Science diet and Purina are not as good as people have been led to believe but when i talk to people about Nutrition at work I always tell them that these foods are definantly better then foods like Ol' Roy and Pedigree so if that is what they can do and the animal is doing well on it then to stick with it.  

Quoting aidensema:

oops my bad. when i worked at petland discounts they always told us that was the best, never did any research on it because i dont have a dog only a cat who has eaten the same food for almost 7 years untill last year.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Quoting aidensema:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)