Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

His death just reminds me of it.........

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

My sergeant died of a massive coronary last Wednesday.  He was only 53 years old and had JUST retired six months ago!!  I saw him just weeks before his death and he looked GREAT.  He said he was loving retirement and doing all the things he didn't used to have time for.  He was overall very healthy.  His death came out of nowhere.

Unfortunately this is very common for whatever reason.  A lot of cops die young because of all of the stress, physical exertion, insane hours, etc.  And it scares me to death because my DF is a cop.  We both are, and we work 12 hour night shifts (6 pm-6 am).  His job enviroment is more stressful than mine for many reasons (lots of BS at his dept because they have no union....my dept fortunately has a union).  John's death is so unfair.......he put 30 years into public service and got a measly 6 months to enjoy his life.  I just can't stop thinking that there's a risk of this happening in my family.  I can't get it out of my head.  I am mourning John, and I am worrying about DF constantly.  Last year another one of our officers died of a heart attack at age 42.  He didn't show up for work, so the dept called his house.  His wife went upstairs and found he had passed away in his sleep.  42 years old!!!  I know I'm rambling but I just needed to get this out.  I don't know how to stop worrying about something I can clearly do nothing about........... :(

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MPWifeJessicia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I'm so sorry for your losses Momma! If I were you, I would try not to worry about things that are beyond your control. Maybe try to find a place where you are at peace with it. I stress over death constantly, and it is easier said than done, but I hope you are able to get there. Hugs Momma!

CAarmywife
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

its scary about how actual jobs can affect your health. even a woman who works night shifts is at higher risk for breast cancer.

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Im sorry for your loss.  Try not to worry about it so much because you are adding more stress on top of what you already have. We all have our time to leave this life. Just think of the things he was able to enjoy in his short retirement.  Praying for you momma.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2010 at 11:47 AM
Logically I know there is nothing I can do and I should stop thinking about it. If only I could tell myself what to think and then *poof* it would happen!

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM

As the wife of a Police Officer,it's something I worry about often.You worry about them getting injured/killed on duty...and then you worry about the stress of the job getting to them.It never ends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)