Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Booster seat help (EDIT)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

I want to ERF my son. I have a few questions I figure some of you mommies could help with. I see all these more expensive car seats with extra padding and like bumper pads around the head...would one of those be more effective than one that has no extra stuff? I want my son to be safe...but we do not have hundreds of dollars to spend on a carseat. My DF thinks it is a waste of money because we have a FF seat already. Please help me!!!

He is going to be 1 in a week. He is 23lbs and our max budget is like 50-60 (Like I said DF thinks it is stupid and he is the bread winner so I have to stay pretty cheap)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM

How old is he, how big is he and what is your budget?

mamalinzie
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

The extra padding will absorb more of the crash force. Will not having it kill your child? Highly unlikely. All seats have to pass the same standards.  One of the car seat safety moms was in a serious, high impact car accident a few weeks back. Her 20 month old was RF in the Cosco Scenera, the most basic convertible car seat on the market, and she was completely unharmed. You can get that seat for around $50.

The only thing I would suggest to you is to talk to your DH about your safet concerns. Show him the videos, the statements from the professionals, the car seat manuals themselves. All of which state to RF to max of a convertible car seat.

crystalearl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

With your budget you could get a scerena. In my experience the more expensive seats have the extra padding and such and they just seem more comfortable to me. Maybe take your DF to walmart, have him look and feel a myride 65 & a scerena and ask him which one he thinks is more comfortable. Also let him see you LO in each of the seats. When we put my youngest in the MR65 at walmart my DH couldn't deny that he looked way more comfortable then he did in his infant carrier.

torttia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Thank you!

I have showed him the videos and he is tired of hearing it, so that is the only reason he is agreeing to it lol. Right now were borrowing RF seat, but we have to return it. Plus the current seat is expired...but it has been kept indoors, but still I don't feel it is safe.

Quoting mamalinzie:

The extra padding will absorb more of the crash force. Will not having it kill your child? Highly unlikely. All seats have to pass the same standards.  One of the car seat safety moms was in a serious, high impact car accident a few weeks back. Her 20 month old was RF in the Cosco Scenera, the most basic convertible car seat on the market, and she was completely unharmed. You can get that seat for around $50.

The only thing I would suggest to you is to talk to your DH about your safet concerns. Show him the videos, the statements from the professionals, the car seat manuals themselves. All of which state to RF to max of a convertible car seat.

AmiJanell
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I would get him a Cosco Scenera... they are only $50. It's a nice seat and will last a long time.

torttia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Lol, DF thinks wal-mart seats are too expensive lol. I am thinking of just ordering one online and not telling him until it arrives lol.

Quoting crystalearl:

With your budget you could get a scerena. In my experience the more expensive seats have the extra padding and such and they just seem more comfortable to me. Maybe take your DF to walmart, have him look and feel a myride 65 & a scerena and ask him which one he thinks is more comfortable. Also let him see you LO in each of the seats. When we put my youngest in the MR65 at walmart my DH couldn't deny that he looked way more comfortable then he did in his infant carrier.

crystalearl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Please tell me you are not currently using an expired seat.  BTW my DH was tired of me talking car seats to him so he just shut down and told me to get whatever I wanted. We got it with our taxes so I didn't have much of a budget. He actually told me not to spend $300 and not to let him know how much it was. LOL

Quoting torttia:

Thank you!

I have showed him the videos and he is tired of hearing it, so that is the only reason he is agreeing to it lol. Right now were borrowing RF seat, but we have to return it. Plus the current seat is expired...but it has been kept indoors, but still I don't feel it is safe.

Quoting mamalinzie:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
mamalinzie
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Hey whatever works!!! LOL. 

If the seat is expired, I would definitely go out and get a Scenera asap. Another option is if you have a Big Lots near you, go see if they have the Safety 1st  Avenue/Uptown. Its $65, has more padding and a taller shell than the Scenera.

Quoting torttia:

Thank you!

Quoting mamalinzie:

Why does my Pre-Schooler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

torttia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:24 PM

It is 6 years old...but I saw on a video that they were good for 10 years...But I have always been told it was 5 years. IDK.

Quoting crystalearl:

Please tell me you are not currently using an expired seat.  BTW my DH was tired of me talking car seats to him so he just shut down and told me to get whatever I wanted. We got it with our taxes so I didn't have much of a budget. He actually told me not to spend $300 and not to let him know how much it was. LOL

Quoting torttia:

Thank you!

Quoting mamalinzie:

torttia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Thanks. I haev been bugging him since our son outgrew his carrier...he just doesn't get it. But I am def going to look into the seats..thanks!

Quoting mamalinzie:

Hey whatever works!!! LOL. 

If the seat is expired, I would definitely go out and get a Scenera asap. Another option is if you have a Big Lots near you, go see if they have the Safety 1st  Avenue/Uptown. Its $65, has more padding and a taller shell than the Scenera.

Quoting torttia:

Thank you!

Quoting mamalinzie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)