Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No hot water till at least Monday, legal or not?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM
  • 104 Replies

I live in an apartment complex.  I went to give my daughter (she is 3 and is special needs) a bath and there in no hot water, not even warm water.  I went to the night managers office and she said that I am not the first person to complain and that she talked to the main manager and that manager said that since it isn't an emergency she is going to wait till Monday to get someone out here.  That means no baths or showers, no washing dishes or bottles, nothing that requires hot water.  I know that if CPS was to find out a family had no hot water their kids would get taken away.  So, is what the manager doing legal or not? 

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CAarmywife
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

i would say no. have u looked into it online?

pellen
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hell no, I wouldn't think it would be legal!! I would be calling whoever I could and letting them know.

TinaN64
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Completely legal.  They are only required to provide water, not hot water.  You can heat water on the stove.  I know you can get enough for a bath, esp. for a small child, because our water heater died and we had to heat water for bathing. 

Mommyto2LilMen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I would say it's not right...but for now I would just warm water on the stove for bathes, dishes and anything else you may need it for...

~*Proud Mommy of 2 Lil Men Kanin (5-26-06) & Korbyn (4-14-08)*~

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

alexhuntercody
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM

why wouldn't it be legal? You can heat water up on the stove..and you'd be hard pressed to find a repair man to come out on the weekends and if you happen to find one you are going to pay extra.

If my hot water went out i would wait till Monday because there are other ways to heat water. Shoot i was without hot water for a week almost a few years ago when we lost power for that amount of time due to storms.

vicki77433
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Quoting TinaN64:

Completely legal.  They are only required to provide water, not hot water.  You can heat water on the stove.  I know you can get enough for a bath, esp. for a small child, because our water heater died and we had to heat water for bathing. 

This.

ashley2010
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I am not sure if it is, but if not it should be. I know hwo it is to go with hot water and espeacially with a child. I would suggest heating up the water for baths, washign bottles, ect and then if the hot water is not back by mon i would turn her into the city!!

cutebaby06
by Monica on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don't think CPS would take the kids away for no hot water,like a PP said use the stove to get bath water.

Allgood9906
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Sounds like you need to call this main manager yourself and explain that yes this is an emergancy and demand to have it fixed. You pay your rent to live in a safe, clean and working enviroment so that is what you should get. Whether is was an emergancy or not it should be dealt  with ASAP!

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

This

Quoting TinaN64:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)