Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Generation Y ???

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

I see it all the time . Especially on here , a person writes a post about whatever topic ..Say teen parenting and the next thing you know a bunch of people reply to it with their own personal experience. Example - "Teen pregnancy is not such a big deal I am doing great and make XX amount of money etc etc.." or it could be a post about abortion and the replies start coming in .."I would never have one I had gotten pregnant at a really horrible time and all these awful things happened but I did it so everyone else can do it ...etc etc.." - Whatever ..the point is why do people reply as if the post is about them specifically? Don't people have general opinions on topics anymore? When I post about a topic I honestly don't want it to become a post about a specific person I'm  looking for general opinions or facts ( if someone has them) but not about a specific person. I don't think ONE specific persons story says very much when it comes to an entire topic in general.

So anyway I was wondering about all of this and at the same time it was brought to my attention that we are currently dealing with "generation Y" So I of course , googled it and came up with all sorts of opinions. Much of what I read did reflect what i thought I was seeing in the replies here. I am now wondering what others think about generation Y ?

from above sighted source -

Still, according to the study, 30 percent more college students showed "elevated narcissism" in 2006 compared with 1982. Over 25 years, researchers have posed a series of "narcissistic personality inventory" questions, each with two possible answers, to more than 16,000 students, with the latest survey conducted last year.

That makes "current college students more narcissistic than baby boomers and Gen-Xers," its authors conclude.

The group I call home is 2gether 4change !! The group I "Play" in is TAA ..I hope to see you there !!!   

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
matofour
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM

and THEY, whoever they are are predicting that generation y, will be the first generation in a long time to take a step back from what their parents have accomplished. 

Caitlin_mommyx3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM

This is really interesting... I do agree but I also think alot of us ( I fit into the category ) have experience in what the topic is about and want to share our story.

I understand what you are saying... you want a broad generalization of something. I honestly don't think like that yet. When I think of teen pregnancy or abortion I do personalize it to me and what I would do in that situation.

Still... very cool! I don't think we are wrong for thinking like we do. It's just different. That is why I love cafemom so much! The moms are SO diverse in age and parenting styles. It is a great pool of information!

Caitlin_mommyx3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Quoting matofour:

and THEY, whoever they are are predicting that generation y, will be the first generation in a long time to take a step back from what their parents have accomplished. 

I also agree with you but I know not ALL generation y people will be like this. In highschool it was so easy to get extra credit just by bringing in tissues during cold season. I thought it was stupid then... I worked for my grades. I didn't always make A's but they were my B's and C's.

Some colleges are the same. I was in the nursing program which was pretty rough but I have seen other students in my school screwing around and drinking in the parking lot. They just don't have ambition...

I'm just glad I do!

matofour
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM

I agree, its not EVERYONE, but as a whole this generation y, will (or so the experts say) be the first generation to not better their parents.  And, that is a first for many many generations.

I just think that speaks volumes about our society as a whole, not people in general, but as a whole.

Quoting Caitlin_mommyx3:

Quoting matofour:

I also agree with you but I know not ALL generation y people will be like this. In highschool it was so easy to get extra credit just by bringing in tissues during cold season. I thought it was stupid then... I worked for my grades. I didn't always make A's but they were my B's and C's.

Some colleges are the same. I was in the nursing program which was pretty rough but I have seen other students in my school screwing around and drinking in the parking lot. They just don't have ambition...

I'm just glad I do!

monkeysmom21006
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I think that when someone posts something about any subject, the best you can do is give your own personal experience or opinion. I have an opinion on many things because I have personally gone through them. I can only give my best, and if that's a personal experience and that experience HELPS someone, then so be it.

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Quoting Caitlin_mommyx3:

This is really interesting... I do agree but I also think alot of us ( I fit into the category ) have experience in what the topic is about and want to share our story.

I honestly don't know much about "generation Y and hadn't heard of it until today . I remember being part of the slammed generation and it wasn't always fun but still I don't think it can simply be dismissed.(which you haven't done and that's not what i want to imply) I applaud you for being open to all of it. Thanks.

I understand what you are saying... you want a broad generalization of something. I honestly don't think like that yet. When I think of teen pregnancy or abortion I do personalize it to me and what I would do in that situation.

I get this ,I really do. I often read a post internalize it and then decide what my opinion might be . I just don't post all of it. I save that for my friends =) ( I know my poor friends) I wouldn't want to put all my personal out there. It also imo makes it harder to really look at a topic if I have to be overly concerned with the post now being about a specific person rather then general ideas..kwim?

Still... very cool! I don't think we are wrong for thinking like we do. It's just different. That is why I love cafemom so much! The moms are SO diverse in age and parenting styles. It is a great pool of information!  agreed

Tatum2U
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I think it's pathetic ! I can't believe how many females can't seem to understand that there is an entire world full of people and if they made it as a teen mom or not , doesn't really say anything about the big issues surrounding teen pregnancy . We know that teen pregnancy is a BIG problem but sure I have seen to many on here talking about how frickin great they are and ignoring the facts surrounding the issues. I read those replies and wonder why this person hasn't grown up enough to see past themselves. Its normal for teens to think the world revolves around them and their experiences but it's not normal for an adult and a mother to not realize that it's not about them.

LoriLou75
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Quote:

Still, according to the study, 30 percent more college students showed "elevated narcissism" in 2006 compared with 1982. Over 25 years, researchers have posed a series of "narcissistic personality inventory" questions, each with two possible answers, to more than 16,000 students, with the latest survey conducted last year.

That makes "current college students more narcissistic than baby boomers and Gen-Xers," its authors conclude.

ROFLMAO!!! I am gen-x and glad to hear we are not quite as nascissistic as gen-y!!

Tatum2U
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Quoting LoriLou75:

Quote:

ROFLMAO!!! I am gen-x and glad to hear we are not quite as nascissistic as gen-y!!

You can probably guess most peoples ages on here just by how self centered their replies are don't ya think?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)