Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If he calls her "dumb" one more f'ing time......

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:17 PM
  • 146 Replies

I swear I'm gonna kill him. It's seriously pissing me off.

For those of you don't know me: my DD3 is 18 months old, and a little "behind." I'm sure you all know about the  developmental "red flags" we've all been told to watch for. DD has hit all of them on time, but at the last possible moment. For example.....to be walking by 18 months. She was 17 months and 2 weeks.

She's always been a very laid back baby. Has always done everything on her on terms. A easy baby, I guess you would call her.

She doesn't really talk. She doesn't have too much interest in repeating things, either. She knows some words...."out, dad, mom, hi, bye, shoes etc" but doesn't say them much. When she does, only DH and I understand her. We know for sure she has a speech delay. When she is in the mood to repeat, she doesn't put much effort into it. I asked her to say "cookie" today....and she made the cccchhh (the C sound) and nothing more. No big attempt.

Her DR isn't sure if she is delayed (like mild autism) or if it's just her personality. At her appointments she always plays the way she is supposed to, just quieter. I was pointing out colors to her on the walls, and when the Dr and I were talking she walked back over and was trying to "say" each of the colors while pointing. Of course they were wrong, but the Dr just looked at me and said "She wants to keep us guessing, doesn't she?" as far as developmental delays.

Just yesterday  was cleaning the fish tank and showed DD the fish that was in a glass. "fishy" I told her. "Fishy" She was staring at it, and gave me a big "MEEEEE" (which is her "meow" thats what she calls the cat. MEEE) I told her, no it's a fish but she continued with the MEEEE.

Today I was holding her, and she pointed right to the fish tank and said "ish." (fish) She repeated it over and over. She had heard me yesterday, and retained it. Why she didn't say it yesterday is beyond me.

I love her as she is. She is sweet and beautiful, and I know she's not dumb. DH on the other hand, calls her dumb. "Daddy's little dumb-dumb." 

Tonight he was playing with her with some rings, and was telling her the colors. (colors are her new favorite game.) She listens to you, and then "tries" to say them in her own language. (It sounds NOTHING like the actual word.)

Well, as he was playing he was getting frustrated that she wouldn't repeat the colors or give him the "right" colored rings. She was just having fun playing with them....fitting them together or what not, and he took them away! Just b/c she wasn't doing what he wanted. Then, when she cried about it, he smacked her toosh! (not hard)

He looked at me all disgusted, looked at her the same way and walked away.

I'm sooooo fucking pissed! This dummy shit is too much for me, even though I asked him many times not to say it. UGH.

Bash away, but at least I feel better.

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FDNYwife
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Id be angry too!

haysmum
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Act as if he's a child and ignore the negative comments.  Please dont let him label your child!!!!

AMarineLovesMe
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:21 PM

WOW!  You have a lot more tolerance than I do.  If DH kept calling DS dumb he would be out the door!  Sorry you and her have to deal with that :(  I lubs you!

baby

Nicolettemomof2
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:21 PM

That is horrible. I would not stand for that myself. I couldn't imagine my husband calling our child names. Spanking her because HE was getting frustrated?? You should have a serious talk with him. Either buck up our buck out. HUGS.

3galsmomma
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I'm trying, ugh, am I trying. He's always comparing her to other kids. Kids on youtube, our nephew, they are all WAY ahead of her. Of course I hope she's ok and it's just her personality, but if there is something going on I'm ok with that too. She's my baby. He should feel the same way.

Quoting haysmum:

Act as if he's a child and ignore the negative comments.  Please dont let him label your child!!!!

SuzyQ007
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:23 PM

That is horrible IMO for a father to call his child dumb. He needs an ass kicking!

Be True To Yourself

3galsmomma
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Awwwww, thanks sugar tits.

My DH has some SERIOUS issues. I'm hoping it'll work out. We'll see what DD speech therapist says about her.

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

WOW!  You have a lot more tolerance than I do.  If DH kept calling DS dumb he would be out the door!  Sorry you and her have to deal with that :(  I lubs you!

usmclife58
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I could not imagine being with someone like that. That is so horrible that he would do that to his own child. He is disgusting.

luv_my_xiya
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM

honestly...i would probably hurt him...have you said anything to him? he probably expected for his child to be some type of super genius, but she's taking her time getting there...kids will do things when they want to...my niece didnt talk until she was 2 1/2 and the first words she said came out in a complete sentence...she is very smart, she just didnt want to talk...tell him to get over it

mommam58122
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM

i would be beating his ass for that i would tell him love her or get out she doesnt need that shit i know how u feel both my dd's are devolpementally delayed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)