Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are in the mood for a debate...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM
  • 32 Replies

What is your stand on pop culture and your kids? At what age do you feel it is ok for your kids to see certain shows and listen to certain music?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl728
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:39 PM

What certain shows and music?

Basically everything that is popular is pop culture.

Today I can say I am PROUD to be from Massachusetts!!

Hey Mr. President....Can. You. Hear. Us. NOW!!!!!

ejedwards00
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM

ya..be a little more specific..but im all up for a debate..haha

matofour
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I guess it depends on what you are specifically talking about, we are fairly strict with what media my children are exposed to. 

dawl3655
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Us too....most of the things my DDs friends see and listen to....are things I would never consider.  I used to think I was really Lax on what I let my kids see and do, until she started having friends over and they told me about some of the movies/tv shows they had seen.  I was shocked!!

Quoting matofour:

I guess it depends on what you are specifically talking about, we are fairly strict with what media my children are exposed to. 

skisbufly1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I agree with the 2 pp's what are you referring to??

Chrystalx3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Well for example, do you think it is age apropriate (sp. sorry) for a 5 y/o to watch Hannah Montana or listen to Taylor Swift?

I wonder if allowing these things at an early age doesn't desenstize them as they get older and when the are old enough for that type of entertainment, maybe they would be "bored" by it and want to be exposed to even more mature things, making sex drugs and drinking even more of an issue?

ERNAProud
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Ummm....what do you mean?  Not sure I am following you. What shows are you talking about? Yo Gabba Gabba? I will NEVER let them watch that show!!! I don't know what kind of culture they could get from that though..............

They do watch Everybody Hates Chris, George Lopez, Malcolm in the Middle, Heroes.....you have black, hispanic, white, and asian right there..what else is there? 

matofour
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM

but, I will use us as an example, we don't watch nickelodeon, or disney, we just watch very little tv period.

But, my kids (who are in 1 and 2 grade), have seen harry potter, eragon, they just saw the lightning thief.  But, they also have read all those books (or for some of them listened to them on cd in their rooms).  My kids love that fantasy realm, and I know others disapprove. 

So, I think it really comes down to what you like, and believe in as well.  But, we are fairly strict, and much stricter than most of their friends, except that one area of fantasy, etc.  But, I justify that, by saying they have read the storys, I don't mind if they watch the movie.

Quoting dawl3655:

Us too....most of the things my DDs friends see and listen to....are things I would never consider.  I used to think I was really Lax on what I let my kids see and do, until she started having friends over and they told me about some of the movies/tv shows they had seen.  I was shocked!!

Quoting matofour:

ERNAProud
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Noooooooooooo.............I think INACTIVE PARENTS are the reason for them growing bored, drinking, sex...............

Quoting Chrystalx3:

Well for example, do you think it is age apropriate (sp. sorry) for a 5 y/o to watch Hannah Montana or listen to Taylor Swift?

I wonder if allowing these things at an early age doesn't desenstize them as they get older and when the are old enough for that type of entertainment, maybe they would be "bored" by it and want to be exposed to even more mature things, making sex drugs and drinking even more of an issue?

ERNAProud
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Yeah, we don't watch tv much until after dark, everyone has had their dinner, and the house is clean. Then we all sit down together and watch something. 

Quoting matofour:

but, I will use us as an example, we don't watch nickelodeon, or disney, we just watch very little tv period.

But, my kids (who are in 1 and 2 grade), have seen harry potter, eragon, they just saw the lightning thief.  But, they also have read all those books (or for some of them listened to them on cd in their rooms).  My kids love that fantasy realm, and I know others disapprove. 

So, I think it really comes down to what you like, and believe in as well.  But, we are fairly strict, and much stricter than most of their friends, except that one area of fantasy, etc.  But, I justify that, by saying they have read the storys, I don't mind if they watch the movie.

Quoting dawl3655:

Quoting matofour:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)