Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seperate bank accounts?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:52 PM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: Joint or shared money/account? OR Seperate money/account?

Options:

Joint-Shared money/account

Seperate money/account

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 106

View Results

My sister and her DH have seperate bank accounts... they always have. The bills get paid by both, and money goes into their savings from both accounts... but for everything else... they have seperate accounts.They don't discuss what they spend their money on unless it just happens to come up. It's not a rule or anything... they just don't do it.

My DH and I share every dime we have. We have had a joint bank account since before we were engaged.We discuss with each othere all of our perchases and know what money is being spent.

So which are you?

I'm Aubree (or Bree), I'm a 21 year old, formula feeding, non-circumcising,  non-vaccinating, occasionally co-sleeping, disposable diapering, spanking when needed, forward faced at 1, brutally honest, thinks children can call their step-parent "mommy" or "daddy" if that's what they choose, wife to Andy since 04/07, mommy to Delilah Renee since 12/07, Mommy to Elliot Jay since 08/09, and step-mommy to Brookelyn Lucille (born 09/05).

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl728
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:54 PM

All the bank accounts are mine. If my husband wants money I get it for him. So I guess neither apply to me. I am the keeper of all monies here.

roxy85
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:54 PM

It's a joint account, but if you ask my husband that ass will tell you it's his account he lets me have access to. He's in the miltary and just doesn't understand how hard it is to find a job as a military spouse.

MeandB
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Same- he was never taught money management and would constantly overdraft his account- to where he owed $500 once. so We both decided I would handle the finances! :) couldn't vote... because its OUR money, I just handle it!

Quoting imthatgirl728:

All the bank accounts are mine. If my husband wants money I get it for him. So I guess neither apply to me. I am the keeper of all monies here.

bxbsmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:55 PM

We have a joint account that I don't deposit anything in,lol and I have two other accounts on my own. Only one has monthly deposits because I'm in the national guard. I spend that money freely but as for the "joint" account I typically let my husband know first.  Whenever I get a full time job I will likely deposit money in mine own account and then deposit money in our savings account. If I have my own account he can't tell me how to spend my own money.  He typically spends money from the joint account as he pleases.

reelo
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:57 PM

We have a joint account, even when we were both working we had a joint account but hey, if seperate accounts is working for them then cool.  My BFF and her husband have seperate accounts, his paycheck and everything are in his and she has her account that gets a percentage- but she is a total spend-a-holic (she admits it) and it works for them.

For us, we both discuss larger purchases or unusual purchases and who does the bills really depends on the month.  We have online access so both of us probably check once a day to see how much is there.

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:57 PM

We have a joint acct but we do have an acct that I donot have acces to and thats by choice because i dont know how to save and the $ is safer that way..lol

FL2AK
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:00 PM

We have both.  We have a joint account that our pay goes into, but I have a separate checking and savings.  I have the family savings in my name and my checking is my fun money.  I travel quite a bit so I like to keep travel funds separate from the joint account.  My husband had a separate fun money account, but he would rather have cash than to keep up with an account.  My kids all have their own accounts too which is nice.  For about the first year we were married we had separate accounts because I did not feel like changing my direct deposit.  We just split the bills.       

eyeheartsin
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM

LOL same here. My DH hates doing the finances.

Quoting imthatgirl728:

Se7enTh1rt3en
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I have my own bank account, but we also have a joint account.  I use my money for day-to-day expenses, like diapers and milk, gas for my vehicle - and for personal expenses (nails, clothes - when necessary).  Hubby takes care of paying the bills out of the joint account.  I can use the money in the joint account if I want - I just have to let hubby know how much I spent - but I choose not to, unless I've exhausted my own personal funds.  It's worked for us so far, so we don't see a need to change it.

serioussifL
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM

He has his account, and we have a joined account. I have access to his accounts and I manage his money. He asks me if he can make large purchases.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)