Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not going to drop out of school....

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

no matter how many times my parents tell me I should.

I really wanted to go off on my step dad tonight, but I didn't. I swallowed hard, smiled and nodded and turned back to the TV and pretended like I was watching the news.

I'm not going to drop out so that I can get a job as a secretary where I will max out at $30K.

It's so much harder to get back into school once you have been gone...I know, because I 've done it and it was hard as all get out.

I'm also doing really WELL in school. I'm on a roll.

And I'm seriously almost done.

I just wish they could support me ONCE with SOMETHING just ONE TIME.

Kthanxbai.

Like to argue? Follow me to

The Debate Team

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamiJ18
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM

My goodness.  You should slap him in the back of the head!!!  That is absurd.  It's not like you are failing any classes or wasting money on school like the younger partying counterparts do lol.

mummie2b2010
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Good for you!!! you keep motivating yourself!!! because in the end it will pay out good rewards!!!

acampbell31207
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I don't understand why your parents would encourage you to drop out of school. I think its great that you are going to school while you have a kid. I myself am just starting college again since having another baby and it is hard work. I hope you find the encouragement and praise you deserve.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM

How can they not know how important getting your degree is???  What does your mother say?

RmeWifey01
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM

high five

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Thats right....you do what you need to to better your future. Im glad youre not quitting.

kk_bella
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Quoting acampbell31207:

I don't understand why your parents would encourage you to drop out of school. I think its great that you are going to school well you have a kid. I myself am just starting college again since having another baby and it is hard work. I hope you find the encouragement and praise you deserve.

Thank you.

They want me to get a 'real job' with a 'career'.

Well, a secretary is a perfectly respectable career...if that's what you want to do in life. That's not what I want to do in life. And there's no reason why I can't do what I want to do (teacher/ college professor).

I left my husband and I'm looking for a job. I'm having a hard time finding a job that will hire me for M-F except for Tuesdays (the day I go to class). And there aren't many people hiring part time, only full time.

And even if I put of fthis semester, all of my classes that are left are in person....

I can understand their concern...but they aren't supporting me, haven't in about ten years.

But this isn't the first time they have said I should drop out and get a job....

kk_bella
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Quoting futureshock:

How can they not know how important getting your degree is???  What does your mother say?

Neither of them graduated high school and neither went to college. My mom defers to my step dad at all times.

torttia

Stand your ground girl! I had my son my senior year (co 09) and I am starting school march 1st. School isn't a choice when your a mom.

FL2AK

Keep going no matter what!  My parents never really understood my ambition either.  I am the only college educated person in my family.  My husband and I both have been in college for years.  I was working on a doctorate but realized how much I loathe research.  Now I am thinking about going for a second Masters.  My husband is considering doing a second Bachelors and then getting a Masters.  Some people will never understand what it feels like to accomplish something for yourself like a college education.  Keep up the great work and do not let them get to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)