Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was your plan?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM
  • 21 Replies

The other post had me looking back on things I thought I knew before DS came along.  So I was wondering what your plans were before your child changed it.  This is meant to be a fun post so please no bashing.

CafeMom Tickers 

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeandB
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM

To breastfeed as long as I could- but definitely at least a year(made it there!! woohoo). To not use any bottles or give any formula(made this one too! woohoo)... to babywear at least a little bit(did and loved it). To read to my child(love doing this as well!). To not use a pacifier past 2 y/o(took her maybe a month or so after to give it up) . To potty train at 18months (had her trained, and then my parents took her to DQ and didnt want her to have an accident so they put her in a diaper and she totally reverted, so she was potty trained at 2.5y/o. in 4 days and has never had an accident and never wet at night!!! sorry I was proud of her). To not give her soda or french fries or cheese burgers before she was two(kept this one! although many people didnt see why). and rarely after that. To have her sleep in a bassinet until 3mos and then put her in her own crib after that.(that did ok, I had a really hard time with it but she slept fine) and to make sure she is a happy healthy girl!(I'd say that I made that one too!)

I don't remember my whole plan...but I had a few things that I was going to stick with!! I am pretty free and easy... I have certain things I will not change, but I am flexible on a lot of other things!! I have learned along the way and have become a fan of some things and dropped others.

ProudSingleMum
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I'd planned on raising my child with my husband...that changed. I'm now doing it solo.

Kaylee0823
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM

This.... other than that i didnt have a plan i was just taking it a day at a time but i did plan on bfing .... that didnt turn out good either

Quoting ProudSingleMum:

I'd planned on raising my child with my husband...that changed. I'm now doing it solo.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy%20ticker

kk_bella
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I thought I was going to breastfeed forever. I didn't realize how difficult it can be. I never thought i would be a formula user at all.

I thought I would never yell at them or spank them. Well, I'm not a spanker but I have spanked them when nothing else was working so I decided to try it. And I am a yeller, which I made a post about yesterday.

I thought I would never put a baby down with a bottle or a sippy cup, that I would never give in to them not wanting to take a nap.

Also, when I was pregnant with my son, I thought I would do everything the same as I did with my daughter, I didn't realize how different babies can be!

06NavyWife
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM

The only thing that really didn't turn out the way I wanted was her potty training. She will be 3 in May and she wets at night and when we are at other people's homes. Thank God for pull-ups!

babybillsmom
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Good one!  

I was one of those that said I/my kid would never:

Sleep in bed with us

Till he was born premie and had RSV and I realized the best feeling is world was snuggling with him.

or that 

I am going to breast feed him so I dont need any bottles or anything.

But gee I have inverted nipples and my boobs are now huge - he is a premie and refused to latch on.

Many other but those are the two that stick out the most.

myouroboros
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I planned on NEVER giving my kid a pacifier.  She had one when she was still in the hospital.  LOL.  And that was just the beginning. 

junebug624
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I was going to bf for a year at least... only made it to two months...

I wanted him to sleep thru the night by 1 yr, he shocked me and did it at 6 wks

I wasnt goin to use a paci at all!... he used one a couple of times during the first few wks then started refusing it

I wasnt going to let him watch tv... now he watches it during breakfast and a little bit before bedtime for my own sanity and he actually has learned from the programs i put on

I wanted to potty train by 2 yrs... yea he thinks his elmo potty is fun to play on, play in (never used), and uses it as a step stool... but then again he's only 19 months old

I wasnt going to give him fast food or soda... i still dont let him have soda.. his "soda" is flavored seltzer water and its limited... and he has had chicken nuggets from fast food places about 3 times in his life; it was either that or him scream for 30 min til we got home to eat

CMcLaws
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

To breastfeed for 6 weeks (made it 3, had to take blood pressure meds that dried up my milk) and then pump when I went back to work for 6 months (Nada). To not use a passy (broke this on day 3) and to potty train when she was ready (which I did). This was pretty much it, because I knew being a parent would throw all types of hurdles my way.  

Mommy2APisces
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I planned to BF...didn't do it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)