Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hospital NOT accepting Medicaid??

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM
  • 21 Replies

I was just told by my doula that the hospital I want to deliver my baby at doesn't accept Medicaid as a form of insurance and that if I deliver there I will be wholly responsible for the cost.  Is that even possible?  I thought hospitals HAD to accept Medicaid patients...

Sorry if that is ignorant, I've never been on Medicaid (or any form of PA) before and don't really know much about it.

Any insight?

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnant with a July/August 2010 baby?  IF SO, come join us at Due July/August 2010!!!  June and September mommies welcome too!  Can't wait to see you there!

by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ebellina
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM

yes certain hospitals have contracts with medicaid and those who do not for whatever reason do not accept medicaid ...i work for a contract company and I am over three facilities and one of them does not have a contract with medicaid and therefore does not accept it at all hoep that helps!

kk_bella
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

If I understand correctly, PUBLIC hospitals have to accept medicaid, but there are private hospitals that do not have to.

Of course, I could be wrong.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I would think you would just select another hospitol. I always assumed they all did, can youcall the person who set your medicaid up and see if she has a list of places that take it in your area??/

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM

A lot of private hospitals do not take Medicaid. They have the option to accept or deny any insurance plan and that includes Medicaid. If I were you I'd find out which hospitals your OB has privleges at and go from there. Your doctor would know which hospitals will take your insurance.

WLNL0507
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Where I am, people with Medicaid must go to certain hospitals as well. Like someone else said, it has to do with contracts.

LoriLou75
by Lori on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Many states have you pick an HMO along with medicaid. It is possible that the hosp doesn't take your HMO.

NIKopotamous
by on Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't know what HMO is.  If you explain I could probably answer.  :)

I feel so stupid for not knowing anything about this.  For the first two years we were married we had Blue Cross/Blue Shield and it covered EVERYTHING except a $20 co-pay, but when DH changed jobs we lost our insurance and now I have no idea what is going on.  Before that I was on my parent's insurance and they always handled it...

Quoting LoriLou75:

Many states have you pick an HMO along with medicaid. It is possible that the hosp doesn't take your HMO.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnant with a July/August 2010 baby?  IF SO, come join us at Due July/August 2010!!!  June and September mommies welcome too!  Can't wait to see you there!

mommy2angels427
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM

it could be one of two things... perhaps it isn't they don't accept medicaid so much as it is the carrier providing your medicaid... you may have a choice to select a different insurance carrier... I don't know which state you reside in so this is just a suggestion..

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Do you want to go to a private or for profit hospital? If they recieve ANY form of assistance from the govt, they HAVE TO accept medicaid.

southernjess3
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM

our hospital has a sign that says they do accept medicaide..which leads me to believe that there are some that do not

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)