Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DOES ANYONE GO TO THE FOOD PANTRY ONCE A MTH?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just wondering my sister-n-law had to stop working and told my husband she started going to the food bank and it helps their family alot now.I dont understand what it is .What kinda food do you get ? Does anyone else do this and does it make a big difference for you

by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ss1436
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Bump:) I don't know anything about food banks

n03z07l08
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I dont because I get FS and dont want to tajke away any food from people who need it that dont qualify.

But I know alot of people who do. different food banks differ in what they offer. Most have basically canned foods and boxed things like macaroni. but some have things like bread,milk and frozen foods.

Valerie429
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I've went a couple of times.  It pretty much depends, they all have different things.  Mostly non-perishable stuff.  Ramen noodles, canned beans, canned pasta canned milk, soup that is usually expired, peanut butter, bread, etc...

oboe_chik
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Ive only done food drives for the food bank lol. We always collect non perishable items and some frozen things.

Did you or are you working full time, juggling kids, a career and who knows what else? If so click on the picture to share your stories!

illiana707
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Foods banks give food to needy families. I have never personally went.  I think what you get varies by pantry. Honestly, if I could get by without I would save the food for others. Many of the pantries around here are struggling to meet demand in this economy.

_mimimosley_
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM

i do. they help a lot! give me meats, can veggies, milk & powdered milk. rice. treats 4 the kids cereal. a lot of different things.

usually it is given @ a church. you bring in a bill and your kids bc/ss#. they give you amounts of food depending on how old your kids are and how many people are in the family.

bisexual-1.gif BISEXUAL image by CrzyNWntNLuv   bob.jpg bob steals cookie icon image by Dare_2_Dream_4ever RENANDSTIMPY-2.gif 2 dancing fools image by cunnbr   sexygirls.jpg bisexual image by emily1111hate on me all you want. You couldn't fade me with a can of bleach;)

ShadesofGrey
by Member on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I have been forced to go to the food pantry twice. It is the most embarassing thing I have ever done... but had to do it in order to ensure that my family eats. $30/month food stamp is only enough for bread and milk for the month. The food pantry I use is kinda like a small grocery store, you get to pick whatever donated food is on the shelves. They go by the weight of the food and how many people are in the household. They give about 30lbs per person. We get two week's worth of emergency food. You just have to watch out for expired food and meat, though. Some things I have found to be dated back to 2000 (canned stuff).

It helps a lot, though. They usually have good-quality canned and boxed food. Things from bread, milk, eggs, few days out-dated baked goods, canned goods, boxed meals, cereal, juice, etc.

Definitely not an experience I want to go through again unless I truly had to.

dmarie2101
by The Assassin on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

we have in the past...you sign in, tell them how many people are in your house, most places require verification of your address and ss #s for everyone applying, and they give you a certain amount of food based on how many people. bread, cereal, boxed dinners, lots of canned stuff, like vegies, fruit, tomato sauce, some frozen stuff...sometimes you have to be creative to mix it up and make a dinner...the good places (ones with more donations) give meats, eggs, milk. most of the stuff comes from people cleaning out their pantries, or companies getting rid of stuff thats about to expire, so the bread can be kinda stale, and i've discovered that LOTS of people buy canned tomatoes and have no use for them. i donate to a couple of churches here now, and try to make sure its things people can eat AND like, and isnt stale. lol

i know, everyone should be thankful they got food to eat there, but at the same time...hard bread and soft crackers arent very good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)