Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you quit breastfeeding?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM
  • 21 Replies

I havent breastfeed now for about 12 hours and my breasts HURT SO BAD!! We've been formula feeding because I've gone back to work and all is going well...Ive got a supply in the freezer and what not...but I'm wondering, how do you "quit" breastfeeding? Am I doing this right? Does everything just dry up if you quit nursing?  cause the pain!! .... 

by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM

why are you quitting cold turkey?

Punkie74
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Pump some out... don't empty them just enough so you're not in pain.

I hear cold cabbage leaves work too but I've never tried them

moncrief_tara
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM

i decreased her feedings one everyday and it worked great.  it took a couple of months for every last drop to go away but i fed her one feeding per day for 2 mos....idk it worked for me so maybe you could try it.

CallieJo05
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I havent been quiting cold turkey...Ive been weaning her off...AND pumping.  We got a bad case of thrush and that was very painful all in itself. And now with me going back to work and working nights it just feels like its time to quit.  :)  I'm just wondering how to do it "right" so that I'm not in any agonizing pain. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

why are you quitting cold turkey?

MarineWife1108
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Quoting Punkie74:

Pump some out... don't empty them just enough so you're not in pain.

I hear cold cabbage leaves work too but I've never tried them

They do. I had to use them after myson since I chose adoption.

As for when I stopped with DD, I didn't have any issues with pain but we also slowly stopped because I was trying my hardest to get past the pain but I couldn't. I was past the bleeding and scabbing but I had a terrible burning sensation in the right(Dr said no infection) when she ate and she would latch on the left good then stop after only a couple of minutes and I could not get her to latch correctly after her letting it go.

marineswink  baby girl

My name is Jennifer, I'm 21 and a SAHM. DH is a Marine and he is 20(21 in March). We have 1 DD. I had a son when I was 17 and chose adoption(open...also, was not with DH at the time).

momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM

ITA! Stopping cold turkey is not good for you or your baby.

Quoting moncrief_tara:

i decreased her feedings one everyday and it worked great.  it took a couple of months for every last drop to go away but i fed her one feeding per day for 2 mos....idk it worked for me so maybe you could try it.

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu 30 days in a medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

Worried about the swine flu? Join us:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/H1N1swineflu

ericagwen
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Quiting suddenly can cause a serious infection...  I would keep pumping for her, but if you want to quit you should gradually pump less.  Like drop one session every few days to a week...  You could also nurse while you're at home with her and do formula or pumped milk while you're at work.

roxy85
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Do it slowly. Since you're wanting to start weaning I'd just pump enough to ease that overly full feeling. If you can get in a hot shower and just hand express enough to stop feeling engorged that's (IMO) the best way. The more you pump, the more you'll produce. Cut back on your calorie and liquid intake because you do use extra calories to make milk and if they aren't there milk production will slow down.

jaysonsmommy15
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM

I had to stop when dd was 6 weeks old because she was allergic to my milk.

I was in pain for about a week before things started to go down.

paganbaby
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2010 at 12:48 AM

I don`t know!!!! It`s been over 5 years already and I can`t stop! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)