Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

if a guy "works late" does that automatically mean he is cheating?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM
  • 42 Replies

My neighbor is freaking out thinking her husband is cheating on her. He has been working till 7, 8 sometimes 9 o'clock at night when he normally gets off between 4 and 5. Now she says she has called him at work around 7 before and heard "work" in the background but she still feels he is cheating because he isn't really telling her why he has to work so late. I guess he keeps saying does it matter when she asks.

I tell her there could be a reason why and he may just be working late! She said i am just saying that to make her feel better. lol

So is it possible for a guy to really have to work late without doing something bad behind her back? Would you assume the worse if it was your guy?

by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexhuntercody
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:02 PM

oh and if it were me i would not assume he was doing something stupid. I trust my husband. lol. I just want to see if i'm the only one.

luv2wahm
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I wouldn't give it a second thought....

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM

What kind of job does he have?  I wouldnt pay any mind to mine working late unless he has a history of cheating.   Usually when someone accuses another of cheating, they have thought about doing it themselves.  It is an issue of trust.  With this economy unless he is needed at home, i would be glad for the extra hours and money.

RmeWifey01

If it happened periodically I would not think anything of it. If it was night after nightfor say... a month or 6 months then yes I might consider something is up.

Mommy2life

it's very possible.... sounds like she needs to take a chill pill and let that man bring home the bacon OR it may be more to the story... as in he's done something where in she can't trust his words and actions fully and she's just not telling you.....

My fiance works anywhere from 11pm-3am....and don't get off till 12-2pm.... he's a trust driver so I know he's working.. and it doesn't hurt that he hasn't done anything to make me not trust him words.

WildKat

I would not assume the worst if it was my husband - because in 18 years, he's never given me real reason not to trust him.  And he does sometimes get pulled into meetings and projects and I know he can't say no to that.  I know they are legit because his work also calls him at home a lot and he'll put in a few hours remotely over the weekend.

If he'd strayed before, though - I have to say that cheating would be the first thing I'd think of.  Does  your friend have reason not to trust him?

Peace,

Kat

alexhuntercody
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM

he is a instructor at the local college. he teaches english. thats really all i know. His last class ends at 4.

my2girls516
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Have her check his pay...If he is working late, there will probably be extra income...

nazratred
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Of course not..my husband does concrete and construction, so he has no set hours.  But no I wouldn't.  My friend thought her husband was cheating because he was working late and being kind of secretive.  Come to find out he was working extra hours to make money and doing things without her knowing to surprise her for her 30th birthday with a trip to Italy.  It was sad, cz I knew what he was doing and she would cry to me and tell me she thought he was cheating.  I kept trying to make her feel better about it and tell her I thought there was no way..LOL..she ws shocked!

nemiller
by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 8:08 PM

my husband has had to work that late off and on and i know he's not doing anything shady.  of course, he's always forthcoming with why he was at work until 7 or 8 at night.  he certainly wouldn't give me a rude response if i asked him about it.  i don't think her husband is necessarily cheating, maybe he's just pissed about why he has to be there and doesn't want to talk about it.  i know that my husband doesn't like getting into the details of his day when he's in a bad mood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)