Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you weigh yourself???

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:26 AM
  • 15 Replies

I have such a strange relationship with the bathroom scale. It taunts me, tempts me, lures me over and then frightens me away.

I've been dieting very strenuously lately because I put on a few pounds. I know I should weigh myself so that I can measure my progress, but I'm afraid to find out how much I weigh. If it's more than I think, it could drive me into a depression and sabotage my efforts.

Anyone else this nutty about the scale or am I all alone here?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mitch576
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:29 AM

never owned a bathroom scale.. my mother wouldn't allow it and your attitude regarding it is the exact reason why.

it taunts you..

i was raised to not focus on the numbers on the scale.. but rather good nutrition and excercise.

my "size" was never questioned.. my weight was never the issue.

we ate well and were active and thin.. so my mother didn't allow bathroom scales. i was also a competition ballerina and because of the issues those women face..  it was another reason my mother never allowed them.

i'm a size 3.  i use to be a size 18 after the birth of my second child.  my focus was on my clothes fitting better.. not the numbers. so i never used one.

when my clothes were too big.. that was the motivator.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

mom2dane07
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM

i was talking to a girl on here the other day about this. I work at a weight loss clininc and we reccomend not weighing yourself more than once a week. I would do it the same time every week wearing the same thing or nothing at all. also know your weight can fluctuate 5lbs or more in just a matter of hours so dont get discouraged automaticaly. You should measure yourself to begin with and every 4 weeks. Also i have 1 pair of jeans in particular that i love. I try them on and can tell if i have gain or lost just by how they fit. Also carbs, carbonation and caffine will make you bloat so the less you have of that, your stomach will start smothing down too. Good luck. I am in fact starting to run tomorrow and It scares the heck out of me

EllenMeister
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Quoting mitch576:

never owned a bathroom scale.. my mother wouldn't allow it and your attitude regarding it is the exact reason why.

it taunts you..

i was raised to not focus on the numbers on the scale.. but rather good nutrition and excercise.

my "size" was never questioned.. my weight was never the issue.

we ate well and were active and thin.. so my mother didn't allow bathroom scales. i was also a competition ballerina and because of the issues those women face..  it was another reason my mother never allowed them.

i'm a size 3.  i use to be a size 18 after the birth of my second child.  my focus was on my clothes fitting better.. not the numbers. so i never used one.

when my clothes were too big.. that was the motivator.

I think your mother is some of kind of genius. Honestly. I give her a standing O!

Find me at: ellenmeister.com  *  my blog  *  facebook * twitter                       

EllenMeister
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Quoting mom2dane07:

i was talking to a girl on here the other day about this. I work at a weight loss clininc and we reccomend not weighing yourself more than once a week. I would do it the same time every week wearing the same thing or nothing at all. also know your weight can fluctuate 5lbs or more in just a matter of hours so dont get discouraged automaticaly. You should measure yourself to begin with and every 4 weeks. Also i have 1 pair of jeans in particular that i love. I try them on and can tell if i have gain or lost just by how they fit. Also carbs, carbonation and caffine will make you bloat so the less you have of that, your stomach will start smothing down too. Good luck. I am in fact starting to run tomorrow and It scares the heck out of me

"Bloat" is definitely an issue for me, especially since my belly (and not my hips or butt) is where I gain my weight.

Good luck with your running ... I'm going out for a jog right now!

Find me at: ellenmeister.com  *  my blog  *  facebook * twitter                       

kat247
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I am the exact opposite...I weigh myself TOO MUCH.I weigh myself every morning.I have been eating better and exercising and have lost 12 lbs so far.It makes me feel so good to see the numbers going down.But I know pretty soon its going to start coming off slower and I will discouraged not seeing it drop as fast.

angelm2005
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I dont own a scale becaus I am too afraid of what it will say. I had an eating disorder a few years ago, so I try to stay away from them and just eat healthier and drink nothing but water.

beerebelly
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I have been weighing myself every day since Dec. but for a different reason sort of.  I had jaw surgery and have my mouth wired shut.  I have not eaten anything other than hot chocolate and cup o soup.  I am starving :(  I am down to 127 and I am 5'7.  Good news is I get unwired this wed so chesseburger, pizza, chips here I come! lol    I don't mind the weight loss, my clothes fit great, but I am really really hungry!

John, Steven, Brenna & TJ

jessicaroberts3
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I know I shouldn't but I do it like everyday..I am obsessed with my scale....lol

mom_of_2monkeys
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM

i weigh myself way more than i should. my weight fluctuates a lot , if i see the numbers go up to high i know its time to cut back a little. i can't really rely on how my clothes fit because i use all different sizes and honestly i don't think any of them fit properly.

MzSeXyC
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM

i just started dieting a few days ago, so i had to face the scale haha.

i weigh more than what i thought (or even look lol) so i was a little dissapointed.

try only weighing yourself once a week. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)