Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wisdom Teeth

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm leaving in an hour to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I'm SUPER nervous. Anyone have any suggestions or tips or anything? I've got ice packs, and my oral surgeon gave me ibprofun (I don't know why he's being stingy with the drugs, lol). I don't know what else I can do for the pain.

Thanks!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_of_2monkeys
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM

sounds like your prepared!  just try to rest and take it easy, good luck!

Chanelz
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I had my wisdom teeth removed august of last year, it wasn't too bad though. Ibuprofen worked well for me. The oral surgeon wrote me prescription for vicodin. I took the vicodin when I got home, and ended up throwing up that night, lol so I decided to just take ibuprofen. The first day was the worse for me, but it wasn't that bad. I had all 4 of them removed, but had a little swelling on one side of my face. Are you being put under general anesthesia?

isra1986
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Bump because I will be going through the same thing soon :)
I hope you have a fast recovery!

angelm2005
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:27 AM

When I got my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 17, the doctor prescribed me 3 valium to take an hour before surgery, LMAO. I was awake the whole procedure and the old man forgot to numb my mouth all the way. Good thing I had all that Valium in me, LOL. He prescribed me Vicodins for after I got my teeth pulled.

angelm2005
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Ah and I looked like a chipmunk for a few days after surgery. :-)

czchtaclo13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:32 AM

You might need more the Ibprofen. Depending on the Doc. and your healthy depends on how youll do. You should be fine tho. Nothing to worry about. I had all 4 cut out. They were bad. Dont sip through straws and eat a lot of soft foods. The stitches will itch, but thats because its healing. Good luck Momma...youll do fine. O and a milk shake if u can a little after the surgery does wonders ;)

CAarmywife
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM

they should also give u pain med presciption. i never needed it though. major thing is dont get a dry mouth. that causes it to hurt. i didnt have stitches i just had 4 holes i had to use a syringe after eating to flush out the food

judybant
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM

If they're just being pulled, it's no big deal, really. My dentist was literally on my chest, because one of them, the root was more curved than it showed in the Xray... my jaw was a little sore that afternoon... but I worked a full 8 hour shift that day... only thing is, do NOT use a straw, or smoke for as long as they tell you to! The motion of sucking will pull the clot out of the hole left, and can cause dry socket, and THAT is FAR worse than the numbing wearing off... Ibuprofen was all I needed for my pain, and I only took it for the first 2 days, just because I was told to.

AMom29
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Ugh.  You don't want to hear my story.  :-)

I would beg for the Vicodin, though.  Advil isn't going to cut it.

Make sure you have some tea bags, and get an irrigator from the doc to keep the sockets clean.  You won't be able to eat much, and your cheeks will swell some, but other than that, you should be OK.

Trishintraining
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM

So I'm back, I've been icing them, and I got some Vicodin. The only one that hurts really bad is the bottom right, but I think I finally got the bleeding to stop, and as long as I keep it numb with the meds and the ice it's fairly tolerable. He gave me the ibprofun for the swelling, I guess, and then when I went in, he gave me a prescription for the vicodin for the pain.

Thank you all for your help. I've gotta say, it was more disorienting than painful. I don't remember him putting me under at all, so when I "woke up" I was in a different room, and I didn't remember how I got there, and I thought they hadn't started yet, lol. He said that a little amnesia was common, though.

I'm really suprised, actually, that it doesn't hurt bunches. I'm not eating anything right now for fear of getting things stuck, but I suppose I'll get there eventually :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)