Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby dilemma

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM
  • 9 Replies

This is a vent... perhaps the need for advice (if there is any available).

My son is almost 10 months old. He was exclusively breastfed until a month ago when we started introducing solids. Never consistently because we were told that until a year old, this was only needed for "practice".

Our dilemma now? I am having surgery soon. It cannot be put off. I will not only be out of commission for an entire day and night, I will be out of town in an out-patient situation. My son will have to stay here with my husband. I will not be able to breastfeed him for (at least) 14 hours. He still depends mainly on breastfeeding for nutrition.

He hasn't had a bottle since he was 2 weeks old and now refuses to take one - no matter how hungry he is. I can't be the only person this has ever happened to, Lol. But I am at a complete loss as to how to handle this.

Every idea that my husband and I come up with seems less plausible than the last.

I have no clue what to do. Cold wean? He is just so young. I feel horrible. I should have introduced solids more regularly - but I did not know that I would need this surgery. I feel like I should have supplemented with formula regularly.... or pumped and fed him from a bottle. I know it isn't rational to think this way... after all, I didn't know. But these are the thoughts running through my head now.

I am about to pull my hair out.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Esmesmomma2008
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:44 AM

huggs momma

CAarmywife
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM

id i stil try to give him a bottle. he really doesnt have a choice. my girls wouldnt take sippy cups and i took away the bottle and that was their only choice or to go without. they took that sippy.

mrs.legates07
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM

i dont know if this will help (cause of your nursling is anything like my 4 month old nursling it wont help any) but cluster breastfeed the day and hours before you have to go and express enough milk that he will have enough for that day.. have you tried giving it to him in a sippy? my 4 month old wont take it from a bottle but will from a sippy.. hope it helps

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Quoting mrs.legates07:

i dont know if this will help (cause of your nursling is anything like my 4 month old nursling it wont help any) but cluster breastfeed the day and hours before you have to go and express enough milk that he will have enough for that day.. have you tried giving it to him in a sippy? my 4 month old wont take it from a bottle but will from a sippy.. hope it helps

He hasn't much experience with the sippy, but I could try this in the next week.

I have a week to figure this out, Lol.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

ctfirsttimemom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:50 AM

my son wouldn't take bottles either.  He did eat solids regualrly and drink a little juice mixed with water by 10 months.  When is the surgery?  Have you pumped at all?  My son was screaming for normal food about 4 months, so we started them right before he turned 5 months.  Also, have you tried sippy cups?  The ONLY sippy my son ever used was one with a straw.  He started doing great with those right about 10 months or so. He would never drink formula or pumped bm out of it, but he will drink either water or juice/water and now that he is almost 17  months, he has whole milk also.  I'm sure it will all work out. 

Wendy_June
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Try sippy or a regular cup maybe? My 11 mo would drink out of a cup before I could get him to drink out of a bottle.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Quoting ctfirsttimemom:

my son wouldn't take bottles either.  He did eat solids regualrly and drink a little juice mixed with water by 10 months.  When is the surgery?  Have you pumped at all?  My son was screaming for normal food about 4 months, so we started them right before he turned 5 months.  Also, have you tried sippy cups?  The ONLY sippy my son ever used was one with a straw.  He started doing great with those right about 10 months or so. He would never drink formula or pumped bm out of it, but he will drink either water or juice/water and now that he is almost 17  months, he has whole milk also.  I'm sure it will all work out. 

I have a week. I have never pumped. I'm sure that I could - but the issue is that he refuses the bottle. It is a bit late to try and introduce the bottle to him.

I am going to try expressed bm in a sippy - I'm just now sure how far I will get (enough to sustain) in the week that I have. That is an awfully short period of time to get him acclimated to an entirely new feeding method (solids and sippy). Oy.

MommytoKenzie08
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I exclusively breastfed my DD until a little over a week ago and I had to stop cold turkey (she is 18 months) because of this medicine I couldn't avoid taking and it could have hurt her. Anyway she adapted really well and hasn't given me any trouble, I would try to get him used to more solids and start giving him a sippy cup if he won't take it then give him a bottle (he may surprise you) you need to start trying different things if he is almost 12 months old, would you feel comfortable giving him 2% milk? I can't remember the age they recommend for that but I think it's 12 months.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM

They do recommend cow's milk at 12 months... but his pedi is not comfortable starting him on cow's milk so early. He isn't quite 10 months yet.

Do you think that he is old enough for me to stop cold turkey like that?

Quoting MommytoKenzie08:

I exclusively breastfed my DD until a little over a week ago and I had to stop cold turkey (she is 18 months) because of this medicine I couldn't avoid taking and it could have hurt her. Anyway she adapted really well and hasn't given me any trouble, I would try to get him used to more solids and start giving him a sippy cup if he won't take it then give him a bottle (he may surprise you) you need to start trying different things if he is almost 12 months old, would you feel comfortable giving him 2% milk? I can't remember the age they recommend for that but I think it's 12 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)