Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about insurance

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM
  • 7 Replies

Before I even begin, if you don't have any nice to say, please find another post.  I'm looking for honest advice and help here and cannot handle any hatefulness today.  Thank you.

I'm 29 weeks pregnant and just had a Medicaid review.  I received a letter this morning telling me that I did not qualify for Medicaid.  What are my options now?  Will a private insurance company pick me up at 29 weeks pregnant?  If they don't will my doctor still see me?  Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
prestonjohn
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I am not sure,,but i dont think there would be a problem getting private insurance,,pregnancy isnt like a illness that is long term or such,,,as for your dr seeing you, i think they would but you would have to pay for the visits,,and if you couldnt then they might not

prestonjohn
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM

did they say why you didnt qualify

mrs.will
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Ooh. Honestly I'm not for sure. Maybe you can contact your doctor and see if he will let you maybe do a payment plan or something?? Or reapply for medicaid if you think they may have made a mistake and you feel you still should qualify? Not sure but good luck.

macysmama1206
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Thank you.  I just didn't know if pregnancy was considered a pre-existing condition or not.  I definitely cannot afford to pay for doctor's visits and labor and delivery out of pocket.  I suppose I could set up a payment plan, but that makes my head hurt.  I do not want to go farther into debt, I want out of it!

Quoting prestonjohn:

I am not sure,,but i dont think there would be a problem getting private insurance,,pregnancy isnt like a illness that is long term or such,,,as for your dr seeing you, i think they would but you would have to pay for the visits,,and if you couldnt then they might not

macysmama1206
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Something along the lines of not incurring at least $3000 worth of medical bills in a certain time frame.  Which I think is a little odd, it did not say outright if we did not qualify because of finances.  I am definitely calling Monday to get them to explain better and see if I should file an appeal or not.  But I want to be prepared in case an appeal would be worthless. 

Quoting prestonjohn:

did they say why you didnt qualify

macysmama1206
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Thanks.

Quoting mrs.will:

Ooh. Honestly I'm not for sure. Maybe you can contact your doctor and see if he will let you maybe do a payment plan or something?? Or reapply for medicaid if you think they may have made a mistake and you feel you still should qualify? Not sure but good luck.

deltacogirl
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Your state may have women's health clinics that will see you for your prenatal visits on a sliding fee scale?  Something to look into if you can't get private insurance.  But I'd certainly be questioning why medicaid dropped you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)