Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You? Why?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM
  • 23 Replies

Since this is always a hot topic on here, I want to try to understand some of you. I have been wracking my brain, trying to understand everyone's point of view when they make their replies on posts...

"Because GOD says it is a sin"...  "Because that is God's Word"... etc.

Yes, this is a religion post. No, I am not trying to be a troll (I don't like them). Yes, I know there will be bashing on here, but honestly I am hoping to get an actual discussion out of this rather than the "my religion is better than yours" argument. Too many women come on here and spew that one thing or another is a sin... I want to know why you think that.

Now, for my questions...

What do you believe in? Are you religious- Do you believe in God, a Spirit, or something else? Why do you believe in it? The Bible- how do you know for SURE that it really is God's word? How do you know it wasn't just man's way of trying to get everyone to behave themselves? Do you believe in Heaven and Hell, or do you believe that there is somewhere else our "spirits" go to when we die?

And if we really want to go deeper... here are other questions I ask myself all the time...

1. If God created man in his image, why do we have gay, lesbian, transsexuals, bisexuals, transgender, etc.? You say God makes no mistakes, so.... what's up with this? What about babies (God's gift- remember?) that are born without ANY gender? This DOES happen...

2. If someone is a GOOD Christian person, what makes it ok for them to judge others? Does God not say in the Bible (still not sure if it was written by man or not, right?) that they are not to judge others? What makes it ok for them to be so mean to another human being?

I think about this all the time. I live in the same state that this horrible man comes from...

(Fred Phelps- in case you don't know who he is)

Why is it, that just because he is religious, it makes him better than those who don't believe in God, those that who are gay, or those that have an abortion because their lives are in danger if they carry full term? Those are just examples, by the way, but it just makes me wonder. If those who are religious, and follow their beliefs are so great in God's eye... why are their destructive people like this in our world? He is certainly a PRIME example of why I am leery of religion. My thought in this case is, Why be religious if all they do is hurt people?

*Come on ladies, let's not try to bash each other on this one. Instead, let's try to have a real ADULT conversation, without pointing fingers at each other. I am just trying to understand here.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Quoting SWKansasmomma:

Since this is always a hot topic on here, I want to try to understand some of you. I have been wracking my brain, trying to understand everyone's point of view when they make their replies on posts...

"Because GOD says it is a sin"...  "Because that is God's Word"... etc.

Yes, this is a religion post. No, I am not trying to be a troll (I don't like them). Yes, I know there will be bashing on here, but honestly I am hoping to get an actual discussion out of this rather than the "my religion is better than yours" argument. Too many women come on here and spew that one thing or another is a sin... I want to know why you think that.

Now, for my questions...

What do you believe in? Are you religious- Do you believe in God, a Spirit, or something else? Why do you believe in it? The Bible- how do you know for SURE that it really is God's word? How do you know it wasn't just man's way of trying to get everyone to behave themselves? Do you believe in Heaven and Hell, or do you believe that there is somewhere else our "spirits" go to when we die?

I believe in my Heavenly Parents.  I believe I have both a Heavenly Mother and Father.  I believe in the Bible (as long as it is translated correctly), the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and the teachings of the early LDS prophets.  I don't choose to follow 'One Man'.  I pray to my Heavenly Father, fast and study the scriptures.  I know what I believe, because I have received revelation of it from my Father in Heaven. 

I believe there are many levels of Heaven.  I also believe Hell is what we make it.  Our own sins, knowledge of what we could have done, and mental torments are our hell (IMO). 

And if we really want to go deeper... here are other questions I ask myself all the time...

1. If God created man in his image, why do we have gay, lesbian, transsexuals, bisexuals, transgender, etc.? You say God makes no mistakes, so.... what's up with this? What about babies (God's gift- remember?) that are born without ANY gender? This DOES happen...

I believe that we all have our agency to be what we are (gay, lesbian, etc...).  That is my opinion.  God makes us in His image.  As for those born without any gender, or with multiple genders... I believe that they knew their challenges before they came here, and accepted that.

2. If someone is a GOOD Christian person, what makes it ok for them to judge others? Does God not say in the Bible (still not sure if it was written by man or not, right?) that they are not to judge others? What makes it ok for them to be so mean to another human being?

We should not judge others.  We will be judged according to our actions, by the head of our dispensation.  We are fallible, though.  We have the agency to do good or evil.  We choose to judge others, just as we choose to do all other sins in our lives.  It's not right.  It's not something we should make excuses for.  All we can do is try to be a better person.

I think about this all the time. I live in the same state that this horrible man comes from...

(Fred Phelps- in case you don't know who he is)

Why is it, that just because he is religious, it makes him better than those who don't believe in God, those that who are gay, or those that have an abortion because their lives are in danger if they carry full term? Those are just examples, by the way, but it just makes me wonder. If those who are religious, and follow their beliefs are so great in God's eye... why are their destructive people like this in our world? He is certainly a PRIME example of why I am leery of religion. My thought in this case is, Why be religious if all they do is hurt people?

I have learned that those who say (or feel) they are better (or more righteous) than others, usually have the most sins to hide.

*Come on ladies, let's not try to bash each other on this one. Instead, let's try to have a real ADULT conversation, without pointing fingers at each other. I am just trying to understand here.

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

AZM
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I do believe in heaven and hell but I do not got to church I am not really all the religious in my book people can believe in who or  what they wont.

I don'tgo around telling people they are sinners or are going to heaven that is not my business but you have a point.

SWKansasmomma
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Thank you both for honest responses. I am hoping one day to truly understand religion, and your input helps.

As for my reply on this..

I am not too sure if there truly is a God. I think I am more scientific about things. If I can't see it, why should I believe in it, ya know? I think that the Bible has some really good points in it- like love one another- but the rest I'm just not too sure about. All that talk about Heaven and Hell, and damnation for your sins... It is all just so confusing. I actually prefer to believe when we die, we don't go to Heaven or Hell, but that our bodies are finished- they lay in the grave, while our sprits move on... either to a new life within a new human, or stick around to watch over our loved ones.

I like to believe that I do my best to NOT turn into a nasty person like Fred Phelps. I believe that we all have our beliefs, and it is good that we stick by them. But I also do not think that one person's beliefs trump another.

i.heart.rachel
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Most people who are against gay marriage for religious reasons don't believe gays were born the way they were. They believe they CHOSE to be that way. Makes zero sense, but that's how it is. Watch out, the "true Christians" will show their horns in this post. I know one of them did in my post, telling me that me being a homosexual was just as bad as raping someone. Now THAT is what God wants His followers to say to people! Hah. I would LOVE to be able to watch that bitch when she gets to those pearly gates and God casts her into the darkest pits of Hell.

SWKansasmomma
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Most people who are against gay marriage for religious reasons don't believe gays were born the way they were. They believe they CHOSE to be that way. Makes zero sense, but that's how it is. Watch out, the "true Christians" will show their horns in this post. I know one of them did in my post, telling me that me being a homosexual was just as bad as raping someone. Now THAT is what God wants His followers to say to people! Hah. I would LOVE to be able to watch that bitch when she gets to those pearly gates and God casts her into the darkest pits of Hell.

Yes, I am well aware that the devout ones will come out and probably bash us all. I was just hoping to have an actual adult conversation on here for once, LOL. I get so sick and tired of certain ones going around saying we are sinners, because we believe differently than they do- then of course, they hide behind the God card. "Because God says so", is not a good enough answer for me. I don't want to know what He thinks, because I hear it all the time. I want to know what THEY think.

I had replied to your post... I have been through the same trauma, and let me tell you- I would have been livid if they bashed me as they did you. Women like us have already been through so much, why in the world does it make them a better person in God's eyes to bash us and make us relive that kind of horror? If that makes any sense. In fact, it was greatly BECAUSE of your post I felt the need to come on here and talk about this.

twocutetwins09
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Alright.

What do you believe in?

I believe in the Christian God.

Are you religious- Do you believe in God, a Spirit, or something else?

God.

Why do you believe in it?

I struggled my whole life with believing because my grandmother is one of those "holier than thou" "Christians" and always used religion in her best interest. I believe in God because I can "feel" Him, I guess you could say.

The Bible- how do you know for SURE that it really is God's word?

The bible was translated into the bible we know now so we don't know for sure that everything it says is true. Who even knows if the bible is the word of God or some elaborate plan to get people to follow simple laws. That is where faith comes in.

How do you know it wasn't just man's way of trying to get everyone to behave themselves?

Well, I just answered that. Faith.

Do you believe in Heaven and Hell, or do you believe that there is somewhere else our "spirits" go to when we die?

I believe in heaven and hell but I also believe in limbo.

Well it is said that Eve was created from Adams rib. That would mean that God is a man. God doesn't make mistakes, he gave us free will. He had the forbidden fruit available for a reason. Man may have been created in Gods image but a lot has gone on since then. Also, I have a question of my own. I am not one to really care too much for the bible so I am wondering. If God made Adam and Eve, aren't we all imbred?

I think some people really use religion as a tool for their own agenda.

I am a discipline enforcing, cry it out method using, possible extended rear facing, what I like to call "Pro-Circumstance" believing, failed at breastfeeding but wants to try again, gun loving, middle of the road kind ofproud of my husband for everything he doesChristian by my own standards mommy of beautiful preemie twin girls and wife to an amazing Army soldier.

reecenkaden
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I believe in God, the bible is just kindling.

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

What do you believe in?I am a Nocturnal Wiccan, who follows the Gods of Egypt

Are you religious- Do you believe in God, a Spirit, or something else? I believe in many gods

Why do you believe in it? An experience I had...

The Bible- how do you know for SURE that it really is God's word? To me, it is not.

How do you know it wasn't just man's way of trying to get everyone to behave themselves?Through my study and from a few pastors I have dealt with during school, it is a way to get people to behave themselves (THe bible)

Do you believe in Heaven and Hell, or do you believe that there is somewhere else our "spirits" go to when we die? I believe in reincarnation until we reach the point that our souls have completed their journey to the god's specifications... after that, we will ascend to the afterlife.

I would like to state, that yes, we are created by the human image of the gods, but, my gods also do not claim perfection. They also will not punish for not worshipping them, because this is part of your journey...

reecenkaden
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I'd like more information on this please. Thanks I <3 you.

Quoting Kaelansmom:

What do you believe in?I am a Nocturnal Wiccan, who follows the Gods of Egypt

Are you religious- Do you believe in God, a Spirit, or something else? I believe in many gods

Why do you believe in it? An experience I had...

The Bible- how do you know for SURE that it really is God's word? To me, it is not.

How do you know it wasn't just man's way of trying to get everyone to behave themselves?Through my study and from a few pastors I have dealt with during school, it is a way to get people to behave themselves (THe bible)

Do you believe in Heaven and Hell, or do you believe that there is somewhere else our "spirits" go to when we die? I believe in reincarnation until we reach the point that our souls have completed their journey to the god's specifications... after that, we will ascend to the afterlife.

I would like to state, that yes, we are created by the human image of the gods, but, my gods also do not claim perfection. They also will not punish for not worshipping them, because this is part of your journey...

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

The nocturnal wiccan is one who strictly uses the night for ritual. When performing Ritual, I will request the gods of the dead, afterlife, the night and the moon to assist. I do follow the Wiccan Rede, but I also follow the Negative Confession in the Egyptian Book of the Dead (loooong list of what you should not do, some do not fit in with today, but most do.....like the 10 commandments only longer.) If you want to read that, it is spell 125 in the Book of the Dead.

Quoting reecenkaden:

I'd like more information on this please. Thanks I <3 you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)