Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gallbladder surgery...scared...help?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

So apparently sometimes after pregnancy there's a chance of having kidney problems and gall bladder issues....I have both. I was back in the hospital 6 days after my son was born because I had a severe kidney infection, and now, almost, but not quite, a year later, I'm getting surgery because my gallbladder is packed full of stones. Has anyone else had this surgery? HOw quickly did you recover, and someone told me you gain 30 lbs and are on meds forever???? Is this true? This man never had the surgery, but said this to me, so now I'm worried.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
retsillacam
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I had my gallbladder taken out in Oct '09. I was up and around after a few days and back to normal in a few weeks. I did not gain 30 lbs and I do not take any meds LOL.IDK why they told you that but it isn't true.

rosa_lee
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I had my gallbladder removed when my oldesdt dd was only 11 months. The worst part of recovering was the gas in my belly from being inflated. It took about 2 full days to get that completely outta my system and then recovery was easy. I wasnt supposed to lift anything heavy but thats it. About 2 weeks after surgery I was just about fully recovered. All in all it really wasnt too bad at all. Good luck with your surgery you'll be ok. oh yeah i didnt gain 30 pounds eaither or take any meds lol I didnt even take the pain meds they gave me after surgery cause the pain wasnt too bad

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Hovan
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically almost a year ago and I was up and moving the night of my surgery and back to my normal duties within 2 weeks tops.

dawnharvey68

Nowadays it's done laparoscopically, and is generally safe and heals quickly.

I've never heard of anyone being on meds for the rest of their lives because of it!

dabahmmom

I  had my gall bladder out in March of '08. I am fine . No meds . I have gained weight but I quit smoking and that is my culprit.  I was hospitalized for 5 days during time I had my surgery because stones had blocked my liver . I was up and moving 2 days after coming home and recovered fully by 4 weeks.  Good Luck.

mybabymylove08
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM

had mine out 3 months ago i was walking the next day as for weight i lost some and i wasnt on any meds not bad at all i was scared too but you will be fine

Mommyof3boys312
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I had mine out in August 2008, 5 months after I had my youngest. Its not too bad, I mean you are sore for awhile but the sooner you get up and do some of your normal activities the sooner you will start to feel better. I was out of work for 2 wks per doctors orders, but honestly I could of went back after the 1st week.

Oh and no meds or weight gain(from that anyway)

BabyNamey.com Name Badge
rocknrollgirl70
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM

i had my gallbladder out in october 2008.. it took me like a week to feel just fine.. i was in pain for 2 days but was able to eat right away.. and yes i gained weight back.. just causei was able to eat.. and i was only on meds for like a week.. then after that i felt just fine and like i never had surgery..

pasteeater
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Quoting retsillacam:

I had my gallbladder taken out in Oct '09. I was up and around after a few days and back to normal in a few weeks. I did not gain 30 lbs and I do not take any meds LOL.IDK why they told you that but it isn't true.

This is almost exactly what I would have said except the timing is off.  I was and about right away and I take NO meds.  I don't know what that was all about and I didn't gain weight in fact I lost some.  I have no more problems with it and it's great!

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Quoting retsillacam:

I just had mine out in January, and ditto everything else in the above quote.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)