Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption Fixes Abortion Issues

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM
  • 132 Replies

I actually took this from another poster here, with her permission.

I get very frustrated with seeing pro-lifers say that adoption is somehow the fix-all for the choice of abortion.

So here is a well thought out reality check, lent to me by another mom.

Let me first say that I wish that adoption was a viable solution in our society when faced with the debate regarding abortion. I think there are a lot of women that would make the choice for adoption if the system in which our children rely on were not over burdened with so many unwanted children. The "system" in our county is and has continued to fail our children

Approximately 906,000 protective services cases are opened each year for children that are abused, abandoned, neglected, starving, etc. These are only the cases that are actually reported, and are only the cases that take place within the home the child lives in.

1,000,000 children are homeless every year. Many of which are living in detention centers, not because they are guilty of a crime, but because there is no place else for them to go.

Approximately 100 million abortions have taken place since Roe v. Wade. Even if you take into account that not all of those children would have been placed up for adoption ultimately, between miscarriage, family, and change of heart. If we took 40% of those "babies to be" and placed them into the "system", that would be an additional 1,000,000 children that would have entered the "system" every year over the last 40 years. That is a staggering number, but it gets worse.

Imagine those that are raised in less than ideal homes. Poor homes, ignored homes, starving homes, crime filled homes, etc. If 50% of those 40,000,000 children become pregnant a single time with and unwanted pregnancy, that is an additional 20,000,000 children that will enter the system. A system that is already crippled to the point of non-function under the burden of cases they have presently.

Now I gave hypothetical statistics that in all reality are very low in comparison with the "real world". 

Until we spend as much time, as we do on abortion, yelling for the justice of the children already born of this world, and doing whatever is necessary in order to ensure the safety and well being of our children, we will never be able to provide a viable alternative to abortion.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_mimimosley_
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM

i feel everything is what it is for a reason. many closed minded people don't understand that though. i fully agree and like this post, but it will not change any pistol packing picketers mind

support our troops iraq war military army marines navy air force campaign political america usa united states freedom democratic democrat republican george bushvirgin young girl old button lick lips angel halo good innocent perverse perverted sick gross finger sex funny

Amma0909
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Quoting _mimimosley_:

i feel everything is what it is for a reason. many closed minded people don't understand that though. i fully agree and like this post, but it will not change any pistol packing picketers mind

You're probably right, but just once I would like to see if there is anyone that could actually come up with an answer other than for women to keep their legs closed or just giving the baby up for adoption.

Jynnifer292
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM

clapping

Sadly, many of the women on here that cry murder when a woman gets an abortion are the same ones that rip mothers up for getting public assistance to care for their children. I had a child in my preschool class that was adopted by a pediatrician and his wife. Wonderful home right? You'd think. The adoptive mother smothered that little boy several times, bringing him to the brink of death, and then rushed him to the hospital before anyone realized she had Munchhausen's by Proxy. He ended up in the system even though he was adopted as an infant. There are wonderful people willing to adopt and yet, the US makes it next to impossible.

Amma0909
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Quoting Jynnifer292:

clapping

Sadly, many of the women on here that cry murder when a woman gets an abortion are the same ones that rip mothers up for getting public assistance to care for their children. I had a child in my preschool class that was adopted by a pediatrician and his wife. Wonderful home right? You'd think. The adoptive mother smothered that little boy several times, bringing him to the brink of death, and then rushed him to the hospital before anyone realized she had Munchhausen's by Proxy. He ended up in the system even though he was adopted as an infant. There are wonderful people willing to adopt and yet, the US makes it next to impossible.

It is a sad world we live in when people are crying "don't kill the poor baby", but then when it is born switch to "not my kid, not my problem".

That poor little boy, and all he had to go through.

That is the other thing that gets to me too. People say that adoption is such a good answer for abortion but then they put up all these ridiculous exceptions to who is able to adopt. It is hard to almost impossible to adopt if you are single, in a relationship but not married, gay, etc. All of these categories have people in them that would make wonderful parents but because they don't fit in the box of what a perfect household is they are turned away.

tattedmommynlj
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Yeah I dont like to hear "well you can put them up for adoption".... sorry but there are already too many children that get into bad homes, bounced around, feel like no one wants them, etc. I know the plus side too cuz my hubs was adopted at birth and got lucky with a good family. And me personally could never see myself putting a kid up for adoption and never knowing if i walk past them or what theyre doing or if they died.. etc. Not one thing is right for everyone.

sati769leigh
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM

adoption is definitly not the fix all that is suggested ........................its not................

Jcorris
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:46 PM

clappingI totally agree. I have used this same arguement before when discussing abortion. But unfortunately most of people who cry murder at abortion dont think about what happends to the children who ARE born and put up for adoption. My sister was a foster parent for years and some of the things I have seen made me want to cry. Some of those children who are stuck in the system because there just arent enough people WILLING to adopt.

Amma0909
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

Yeah I dont like to hear "well you can put them up for adoption".... sorry but there are already too many children that get into bad homes, bounced around, feel like no one wants them, etc. I know the plus side too cuz my hubs was adopted at birth and got lucky with a good family. And me personally could never see myself putting a kid up for adoption and never knowing if i walk past them or what theyre doing or if they died.. etc. Not one thing is right for everyone.

It is nice to hear from someone who has seen both sides. I think we can all agree that not every child that ends up in foster care or adoption has a horror story, but I think we can all agree that there are too many that do.

I just don't understand how pro-lifers can make such a flip response and then have no response when faced with the reality of what they propose. Well I do understand it. They simply don't think outside the bubble of what they see as the "perfect" solution. It just drives me crazy that they constantly ignore the real world while preaching about how things should change.

HouseKatof2
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Quoting Jcorris:

clappingI totally agree. I have used this same arguement before when discussing abortion. But unfortunately most of people who cry murder at abortion dont think about what happends to the children who ARE born and put up for adoption. My sister was a foster parent for years and some of the things I have seen made me want to cry. Some of those children who are stuck in the system because there just arent enough people WILLING to adopt.

I think a lot of it comes down to the convoluted idea that there are all these people that want to adopt infants. Most have no interest in adopting an older child, which is a whole other post filled with more frustration.  

While that all sounds good in theory, the reality of it is really pretty simple. 

Right now there are about a million couples/families wanting to adopt an infant. Of course, most of those families have been waiting for years. Once all those families/couples finally have their dream to adopt met, what will happen? The rate that babies would be entering the system would not be met with anywhere close to enough demand from people wanting to adopt. 

Do we begin to reopen orphanages and warehouse babies like they do in other countries? Do we begin to slack on the checks and balances to try and ensure these babies go to the safest homes possible? Should we just hand them over to street vendors to peddle them at discounted rates (joking of course)?

These are the kinds of issues and questions that pro-lifers need to be able to address if they ever want to be taken seriously.   

"It is in our obligation to endure that we achieve the right to know."
~My Dad   

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" 
~Fredrick Douglass

Jcorris
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Quoting HouseKatof2:

Quoting Jcorris:

I think a lot of it comes down to the convoluted idea that there are all these people that want to adopt infants. Most have no interest in adopting an older child, which is a whole other post filled with more frustration.  

While that all sounds good in theory, the reality of it is really pretty simple. 

Right now there are about a million couples/families wanting to adopt an infant. Of course, most of those families have been waiting for years. Once all those families/couples finally have their dream to adopt met, what will happen? The rate that babies would be entering the system would not be met with anywhere close to enough demand from people wanting to adopt. 

Do we begin to reopen orphanages and warehouse babies like they do in other countries? Do we begin to slack on the checks and balances to try and ensure these babies go to the safest homes possible? Should we just hand them over to street vendors to peddle them at discounted rates (joking of course)?

These are the kinds of issues and questions that pro-lifers need to be able to address if they ever want to be taken seriously.   

Exactly.. I dont think half of them understand just how many children and babies are in the system right now. And to think of the astronomical amount that would be added to it were abortion to be made illegal is crazy. Sad as it is, adoption is NOT a viable answer to the problem of so many unplanned pregnancies. Your right in that if that were to happen the countries only way to deal with it would be to re-open orphanages and would also have to find the money to support all these children. And I love the pro-lifers I have talked to about this and when asked "Why arent you adopting these children? You wanted them there.. are you going to help them?" All I hear from them then was "Oh.. I would love to adopt but (add excuse here)" Its crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)