Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FEVER!!!!!!!! {Updated again}

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: Yay or nay on the doctor visit RIGHT NOW

Options:

Yes, go now!

No, wait it out

Green?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

My 8 month old DD has a fever of 101.4. She acts normal and fine. I gave her some Ibuprofen. Should I go ahead and take her to the doctor anyways or just wait and see if the medicine helps first? I'm new to the fever thing, my 3 year old has yet to ever have one or even be sick!

Update #1: 

Well she started getting really lethargic and overly tired when she really shouldn't have been tired at all. She kept falling asleep for no reason and we couldn't keep her awake. So I took her to the ER. They checked her out and cleared her of meningitis (thank God) and the doc said he thinks it's probably a urinary tract infection. He then ordered a catheter (which I wasn't even aware they could do to a baby!) and I ok'd it simply because I want to know for sure what's wrong with my baby. Well, let's just say by the end of the visit I realized I had never wanted to punch a nurse in the face more in my life. One nurse held my DD's legs down and still while the other dumbass nurse repeatedly poked the catheter into my daughter over and over and over, for almost 5 straight minutes, the whole while my daughter was literally SCREAMING her head off, started losing her voice by the end of it from screaming so hard! They couldn't get it in! So I finally got pissed and yelled at the nurse to stop it. That's fucking enough! Are you kidding me?? Is this your first fucking catheter??? Get the hell away from my daughter!!! So, they stopped and deemed her "hard to catheter" and discharged us. Gave us a little baggy thing that attaches to my DD in her diaper that's supposed to collect the urine so we can take it into the lab ourselves. I don't see how it's going to catch anything, but I'll take my chances on the baggy. We're home now and I got her in bed finally. I didn't want to put her down and I'll most likely end up sleeping in her room tonight. Everyone please pray for my poor DD. I may be over reacting, but I'm really worried about her. Her name's Alexa, please just throw her into your prayers tonight. Thanks!

Update #2:  Well we finally got a pee sample today using the little baggy thing. I took it into the lab and they said they would do a culture and to call back if I haven't heard anything by Wednesday. I find that completely ridiculous that they are just going to let my baby deal with this fever and being miserable for that long, So I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if they know anything yet. Alexa was a little better today. She had moments of crawling around laughing and playing and dancing and then other times where she was completely miserable and crying from being in pain. Breaks my heart. I've been giving her Motrin every 6 hours which seems to help for a little while. I can't wait until she's better again!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sexychica25
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM

i would wait it out just to see how she responses, its not a really high fever, just trust your gut hun.

Destined for Greatness..

deeders949
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM

It sucks when it happens on a weekend....My dr. said 100.4    Use your mommy instinct....

Megan711
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM

call the dr just incase.  it will put your mind at ease

renrut3907
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Is she teething?  If not, do you have convenient care at your local clinic? You really need to get her in.  I think people forget the main reason for a fever....it's because your body is fighting something inside that's not right, like an infection.  The fever is a SIGN.  You can get rid of the fever but it doesn't fix the problem.  My dd had an ear infection with a slight fever for over two weeks and I didn't know it (first fever, first ear infection, and I was a new mommy)......ear infections can cause hearing loss if left untreated. 

Rubia653
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I would wait unless waiting might mean a trip to the ER tonight or tomorrow, or if she has a history of getting ear infections probably take her right away too. All three of my kids just had RSV and the pharmacist told me it was rampant right now so I would watch her close, my kids' fever were 103 104 range though when it first started

butterflyblu
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Considering her age, 100.4 isn't really concerning.  If it climbs, doesn't respond to motrin or tylenol, or you notice any other symptoms that concern you then take her in.  Usually for a child that age anything under 103 is not something to bring them into the doctor for.  If it was a baby under 3 months, then you definitely would want to take her in.   And according to BabyCenter, a normal body temperature for a healthy baby can be anywhere between 97 and 100.4.  http://www.babycenter.com/0_fever_84.bc

AlwaysBeenHis
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM

BUMP

yayay15
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM

My doctor always tells me to bring them in if they have been sick and then got a fever but if the fever starts before any noticable symptoms to wait three days.  I can't believe they did the cathedar thing.  My son had a random fever one day and then nothing at all.  He wasn't sick at all...he just had a fever.  I wouldn't take them in for a fever that low and only if it had been a few days.  But...I also have three kids and have dealt with this before. 

Sorry about the cathedar!!  They did that to my son once....ouchyyyyy!! 

gobimom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM

I'm a peds nurse and I just want to say cathing a baby or young girl is not always as easy as it should seem.  We collect urine specimens all the time using a urine bag.  Good luck I hope she is feeling better.

Next time remember that nurses are there to help.  We don't get pleasure in causing patients especially young children discomfort.  I hate it when parents yell at me for doing my job. 

mistie900
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM

aww poor baby. Hope she gets better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)