Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms, How Do You Do It?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

I just recently switched shifts at work and work 8-5. (Was working 2-11pm) I have no time to clean and spend my entire weekend cleaning house. I do tidy up during the week, but by the weekend it's a mess. I used to have a good cleaning schedule that worked with my old work hours. How do working moms do it? (hiring a maid is financially not an option) Do you have a schedule you use? I want to spend my weekends with the kids, not cleaning.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FL2AK
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:04 PM

When my husband was working also (he is a SAHD now), we would all pick up in the evening and on Saturdays we would all clean the house from top to bottom.  I guess it depends on how old your kids are.  Mine are all older so they all have chores to do everyday.  Eventually you will find a new schedule that works.  

bigbosslady83
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM

i do it when the kids are asleep and laundry is an everyday thing when ever i can fit it in. and i work 12:00 to 8:30

lisa601
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Everyone has to help.  When I was working, my DH helped a lot more.  He would load/unload the dishwasher, vacuum and put up laundry.  When the kids get old enough, they can help pick up toys, dust (I spray the pledge duster so they don't get in the spray), gather dirty laundry, take sheets off their bed, etc.  They won't help unless you tell them to.

pinkbrooklyn
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:11 PM

When I was working (currently a SAHM) I lived or died by a schedule.  If I didn't follow a cleaning schedule then I would have lived in a pigsty. 

Tips I used....  Those clorox wipes are miracle workers.  LOL  I would wipe the bathroom down with them a few times during the week so that on the weekend the bathroom wasn't so hard to clean.

I made sure to buy paper plates and cups (haha still do) so that there was less dishes to clean up. 

Put things away as soon as I used them.  This helped keep order...still does.

Cut out the "catch all" spots.  You know...those areas (like a table, counter, desk) where you just put things down???  Don't put stuff on them.  lol  I would just put the things in my hand away quickly.

Hmmm, that is all that I can think of right now.  Being a working mom was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do, but when I got into a routine, it worked out.  Here is the biggest cyber hug possible!!  (((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))

tvschiulaz
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

No schedule here; weekends are when I clean, but usually early morning so that we have the whole day to spend together.

mybabyapples
by Purple People Eater on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

When both hubby and I worked, we shared the chores.

klickitykat
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Currently DH is a SAHD, so we are able to keep up on it a little easier than we used to do.  Agree with pp saying it takes all hands.  Also, depends on how *clean* you need your house to be.  For us, keeping the kitchen clean is a top priority, but keeping toys off the floor, nearly impossible (and we're okay with that) for us.  We do laundry throughout the week, usually a load every other day or so.  Some people find having a "Chore List" with assignments and days of the week a good way to keep on top of things.  Also spending 15-30 minutes at the end of each day tidying can make the big stuff go much quicker on the weekends.  Good luck.  PEACE.  Kathy

Married 15 years; together almost 20 yrs.  I work outside of the home, DH cares for kids at home; Sam (5 yrs) and Becca (22 months); 2 cats, 2 dogs, one really old house, lots of love and laughs.

LovingMyJaybird
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I'm a single mom, and work full time and go to school full time.

I have 3 laudry hampers.. one for whites, one for colors, and one for darks.. Wash whenever I can, but the clothes are pre sorted.

Dishes are rinsed and stacked immeadiately..

All of my son's toys that are laying around the house at night, get put behind the love seat (which is where he plays) out of sight out of mind.. We sort them into proper containers on my days off

I do a quick sweep during the week and my days off I mop and vaccume

I freeze and store left overs in individual servings, incase I don't have time to make us dinner

Um.. dusting I do at night after my son's in bedalong with window's and such.. My son is in bed every night by 7:30, so it gives me 3 ish hours to do what I need to do around the house, and catch up on homework..

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Same here. DH and I share the chores. Since no one is home during the day M-F, our home isn't really that messy. DD has to clean up any toys she plays with at night, and dinner dishes always make the dishwasher.

Friday is laundry night. We dust and clean bathrooms every 2 to 3 weeks. My DH vacuums every Saturday.

Quoting mybabyapples:

When both hubby and I worked, we shared the chores.

Kairi  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
sati769leigh
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:26 PM

fortunately I am self employed and can do my stuff at any time of the day or week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)