Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with potty training...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son's about 29 months and he's so ready to potty train. He knows when he has to go, and he absolutely hates to be wet or dirty. He did really good for a couple weeks getting used to the potty and everything and he liked sitting on it, but for the last month or so, he screams every time we take him him there and if we can even manage to get him onto the potty the crying and trying to escape gets even worse. Not really so bad so far, I know. But now for the last week, for some reason he doesn't want to go in his diaper/pullup either. He holds it to the point where he's crying because he has to go so bad, but he still wont sit on the toilet, or go in his pants. I don't know what to do anymore!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I would put up a poster board on the wall and get stickers and tell him every time he goes pee pee he gets to put a sticker up, and for the other give him a snack size candy bar.  Once he goes make a big deal about it by doing a potty dance so he starts to get excited about going again.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Let him pick out his own undies too. Tell him that if he uses the potty he can wear his favorite undies. We started rewarding my son with cookies when he first started i know bad mom award right. But after a week we stopped using the cookies and he potty trained in one week with 2 accidents since it's been 3 months.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:24 PM

We never had this problem with my daughter (she was potty trained completely at 22 months), but you can still try what we did. We would give her a piece of chocolate when she would go in the potty. She caught on really fast. But she really likes chocolate too and it is rare that she gets it so it was a special treat for her.

We are starting this with my son now too. He has pooped in the potty once but that was it. He didn't seem too interested. He's 19 months so he may still be too young.

by Rah-Rah on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM

have u tried moving his potty seat somewhere if you spend alot of time in the living room, move it there. maybe he's having issues with the bathroom itself? if that works, then just slowly move the potty back towards the bathroom? i dunno. we are trying to potty train too! toddler poopy diapers are disgusting!! that is my motivation!!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM

definitly use rewards when he does go.. but maybe he just needs a "break" from potty training. I know some people may think that will undo your previous work, but with the 3 kids that i have trained that all went through it where they got tired of it or something.. never made a big deal just went back to diapers and stuff and then try again in a week or so. GL!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM

he doesn't like the little potty chair, he sits on one of those smaller seats on the big potty so we cant move it to the living room-or I would lol. And I haven't really been pushing him to go in there or anything. He didnt want to so I didn't make him. But when he wont go in his diaper or sit on the toilet, I just dont know what to do. Its like he holds it so long he's in pain cuz he has to go so bad. Grandma got him to calm down a little bit earlier and sit on it, so maybe he'll get over his issue soon. I hope so.

thanks ladies, I sure appreciate all the advice,

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM

My DS did that, it's because I was trying to control when he went. Once I gave him the control, the power struggle was over =) The other thing was for whatever reason, once they get use to going to the potty, the fun is gone and they don't want to anymore. Start back over from scratch. Let him know that you aren't going to remind him anymore if he can go on his own. And use whatever it was that got him potty trained in the beginning. Gave him a special treat, great start that up again and start dumping on the praise again.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM

My son was doing the same thing nearly until last week. I got star stickers and made a chart on construction paper. I bribed him with stickers. LOL it is going good so far with going pee, but I can not get him to poop on it, he would rather poop in the diaper. It is frustrating. Anyone know  solution to that?

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:55 AM

We did the sticker reward poster for our DD and it worked wonders! We did not give any other treats. We just gave DD a sticker everytime she went poo or pee on the potty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)