Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Martial Arts?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

My fiance is persistent on getting our daughter in to Martial Arts...I'm not to keen on the idea...Can anyone tell me some positives and negatives? He wants her in it for defense if anyone were to try and take some sort of advantage over her. My daughter is almost 5 and I don't really want her to be in it. I told him I would do some research..lol

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Our 4 yr old daughter takes Martial Arts and LOVES IT!!!!

We love it as well. It teaches them many many things...

Focus- they stress to the kids ( at our studio anyway) to pay attention in school

Respect- to respect others

Patience- it teaches them to be more reserved in their actions

Self Confidence- it really gives them the confidence that they can do anything in life.

Never to fight- they are taught that Martial Arts is to be used in the most extreme situations and not to use it at school. Our instructors will take away belts and stripes from the kids if they use it incorrectly. Period.

It also has taught our daughter how to be very still and to wait for instructions. When she is in class she does not move until she is told to do so... The instructors called her out in front of the class 3 times last week in one class for being so obedient and for having such a strong stance. I was a proud mama!!

My Dh took karate when he was younger. He was a brown belt when he quit and he is thrilled that our daughter asked to take it. We are hoping that our younger dd wants to take it as well when she is old enough. Our studio starts at 4 and our youngest is only 19 months.

I wish that I had taken Martial Arts when I was younger.. I could have used it several times as I was almost raped at 13 and then was stalked for 2 years when I was 18.

I'm with your fiancee on this one!! Go for it.. there truly are no cons when it comes to learing a type of self defense and all of the other things she will learn.

Claire

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I was in Martial Arts last year. I did Tae Kwon Do....

In my class there were two autistic boys. Both were high functioning, but both went into the program with problems....one was very obstinant....he wanted to do everything on his time, even shower,

He started at about 13 yrs old. He is now 17, is a 3rd degree black belt, participates in tournaments, showers twice a day (his mother was very happy she no longer has to fight with him on that) and helps out with the younger kids classes. He still has some anger issues, but has not been in a fight in school since 14 yrs old....

They train in the actual forms and some schools also teach self defense.... let me tell you, when I can knock the wind out of a 6 ft 2 200 lb man with a round kick, they have done well..... (I am 5'3 and about 150 lbs right now)

It also teaches confidence. Just, check the school out thoroughly first... not all are as good as the one I went too.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Both my son and my DH take Tae Kwon Do. They LOVE it and I love it too because it teaches my son major discipline and RESPECT as well as self defense. I have not found one negative with it

Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM

My son does karate twice a week.  I think it really teaches them discipline.  I was leery at first because I thought he would just walk around the house hitting and kicking things but they teach some really good values in the class.  He has also gotten to make a lot of new friends through the classes.  My son is 5 1/2.

mommy_to_abby18
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

My son does karate twice a week.  I think it really teaches them discipline.  I was leery at first because I thought he would just walk around the house hitting and kicking things but they teach some really good values in the class.  He has also gotten to make a lot of new friends through the classes.  My son is 5 1/2.

See thats what I am leery about, but since I posted this I am not as against it. My daughter needs to learn the discipline and stuff. I might actually consider it.lol

JRHR4
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I took Martial Arts for 13 years... Then I taught women's self defense. I have done the whole spectrum of martial arts and I love it!  I don't see any negatives to be honest with you.  the things that I got out of it were, self respect, balance (inner and outward), courage, great workouts, learning to protect myself and others, discipline of the mind and body, focus.. Being introduced to different customs and cultures, I have excellent posture, flexability and a toned  and healthy body. It also led me to yoga which I now do religiously..

jothra
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I tried DS in it and he really loved it, but I just couldn't keep my baby from going crazy. So unfortunately I had to pull my oldest. Hoping to restart him once both are older.

usafwife314
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM

My 6 and 7 year old girls as well as myself take Tae Kwon Do.  It is excellent!

It teaches Respect, Focus, goal setting, leadership, self defense.

They stress doing well in school and at home.  Respecting parents and teachers and doing what they are told. 

Our association has stars that are given out for achievements.  The kids get so excited when they get stars.

It really is a great thing to get kids involved in, and its something you can do as a family!

Allie_kat1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I agree with what the previous posters have stated. I actually teach martial arts, our dojo starts kids at 4 as well. I teach both tai chi and tai ki. My daughter is only 7 months now, but i plan on putting her in classes as soon as she hits 4.

I am a 24 year old, breastfeeding, baby wearing, non cio, will be ERF, bisexual, martial arts teaching, trying to do everything because her SO is a trucker, working mommy who will do damn near anything for my boyfriend and our beautiful daughter Kira Elizabeth! BUT I also realize that my choices fit my family and believe that everyone should do what fits theirs. Respect me and my choices and I will gladly do the same.  ~Allie~

breastfeedinggay pride ribbonbaby in slingchanging light bulb

janeisplain1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

i think that for small kids like your 5 year old martial arts would be good, it teaches her at young age the benefits of knowing how to defend herself in any situation.  she won't really knwo the benefits until she's older but those little tricks will come in handy for her, weather it be for something else she wants to do like dance or cheerleading... having that stamina is good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)