Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For Moms of babies & toddlers: Have you had any luck with

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: How does or did your infant 6-12 months go to sleep?

Options:

My baby slept with me/us at that time.

My baby nurses to go to sleep and then is moved to his/her crib.

My baby is put in his/her crib awake and uses a soother/pacifier.

My baby is put in his/her crib and seems to sooth himself/herself to sleep.

I rock my baby to sleep and move him/her to the crib.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

Our youngest son is 8.5 months old and co-slept with me until recently. I would now like him to sleep in his crib for naps and at bedtime - but he isn't too thrilled. I can sometimes get him to fall asleep in the rocking chair while nursing and then move him to his crib, but it doesn't work every time. He is more anxious at night because that used to be "cozy time" with mom and I don't think he wants to give that up. Who can blame him?

I have called Public Health and I have read a couple of paragraphs from a couple of different books - but it all gets confusing. I believe in nurturing the relationship (attachment parenting) and I do not feel comfortable with crying it out. It seems that there is a middle ground of going in every 5-10 minutes to reassure him and then leaving - but quite frankly, I usually cave and nurse him. If he is really tired, he conks out. If I am really tired, I crawl back into a bed with him.

Tonight is Night 1 of trying the 5-10 minute approach, of which my husband is going to help with. I think that I will probably still go over to feed the baby once in the night since he would usually eat at least twice between 11-7.

ANYWAY, I would love to hear what you have done that has worked or any other thoughts on transitioning baby to be able to lay down in the crib and go to sleep without all the FUSS. Is it really possible? Does it start to change after a couple of days sticking to a new "program"? Should I give up and sleep with him for another few months?

Thanks for your feedback!!!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernjess3
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

it could take months..

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

At that age, my DD was put in her crib awake with a pacifier. I turned soft music on, and had a night light in her room. Most of the time she fell right asleep. Some nights I had to let her CIO while I did 10 minute checks.

mistie900
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:42 PM

We put him to bed with a paci. But we also did the cry it out too. We took his paci away at about 15 months. Good luck!

ETA: Just wanted to add that we rarely had to let him cry because he actually really liked being in his bed. He would just sometimes get upset.

KandiceN
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM
I was partially co-sleeping,and partially rocking to sleep, then laying him down asleep. I did that until 15 months because nothing else I tried worked. If I tried to have him self-sooth he'd just scream and he shares a room with my 3yr old so that wasn't doable. Once he turned 15mo we got a toddler bed, and I used that as an oppertunity to change the bedtime routine. He was weened first but we were still rocking to sleep. Then we got the big boy bed and I got rid of the rocking chair the same day. I lay him down now, and he goes to sleep.. buuut I have to stay in the room until he's out lol But not nursing he goes to sleep much faster, each night its only 5-10 minutes before they're both out cold. I'm slowly working my way towards the door. Every night I sit a little further away. I think he's caught on but he hasn't said anything, or freaked I should say!
Mama2lilGarrett

My son has to have a bottle to sleep. We tried to CIO but he wouldn't let up at all.

jessil83

for both of mine. i rock them and give them their last bottle right before bed. than i put them into bed (my son is now 9 months) awake with a pacifier, and their night light. nathan has always pretty much self soothed himself to sleep. victoria my oldest i did the every few mins approach. at first i went in after 2 mins than had her wait 4 mins than 6 mins and so forth until she fell asleep. the next night first time we went in was at the 6 min mark, and added 4 mins each time. the next night was at the 6 min mark and added 8 mins. by the third night the second time i went in i actually ended up only getting to the doorway and she was out. so it might not be as hard as you think it will. you just have to distract yourself while he is crying so you don't rush in b/c its very hard not to want to do it.

lesliemck86
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM

He coslept til about 7-10 months or so, and would nurse to sleep, and be moved to the crib.

serioussifL
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I do a ritual of songs and kisses, then put her in her crib with a pacifier. I turn off the lights. Sometimes she stays up and plays in the dark for a few minutes, and sometimes she just lays there and goes to sleep.
Let me tell you how wonderful it is to just put her down and walk out a minute later though! Ive had people tell me it takes them at least 10-30min to put their child to sleep!

Momm-a-lyze
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I have the soft music and night-light and am trying to connect him with a "lovey" - but right now he assosiates sleep with laying in bed with me. If he is totally upset all I have to do is lay him down on one of the beds and he goes right to sleep. He can tell if I am putting him in his crib and sometimes wakes up! I want to transition him but I don't want him to lose trust in me. Of course he loves sleeping together, that is how nature intended it, for young ones to be close to their moms for security, bonding, etc. Anyway, I will really enjoy getting feedback here and hopefully some ideas or at least strength to stick it out.

Momm-a-lyze
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Quoting lesliemck86:

He coslept til about 7-10 months or so, and would nurse to sleep, and be moved to the crib.

My question is - HOW did you do the transition to the crib? This is the stage we are at and it seems like a huge leap at this point...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)