Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SINGLE PARENT FAMILES = Troubled kids?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM
  • 54 Replies

my husband and i disagree with this. I believe that just because kids are raised in a single family home DOES NOT mean that they are destined to be troubled teens...

My husbands mom is a single parent. her kids dad's are druggies, just out of jail, etc. no good dad's.

his brother's are terrible. one just turned 18, he steals, smokes/sells weed, no job, high school drop out, drives w/out a liscense, etc. been arrested more than once

2nd brother 14, rarely goes to school, smokes weed and drinks bacardi!

sister, 12 hangs out w/ the wrong crowd, bad mouthed, steals, smokes, gets into fights

anyway here's the problem. i believe it is his mother's fault...and he shouldn't blame it on the fact that she is a single parent. She KNOWS her kids are doing these bad things yet doesn't really do anything about it..it's sad! I feel like she's more of a friend than a mother..they get along well with her..so why doesn't she do something about it!

My husband blames it all on her being a single parent, and says ALL single parent families are like this..i disagree!

pregnancy calendar
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GrippyBits2
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM

he is just defending his mother. its not all single parents. that is a horrible assumption. Is HE a bad person??? If he doesnt consider himself a bad person..then he is a hypocrite

southernjess3
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Quoting GrippyBits2:

he is just defending his mother. its not all single parents. that is a horrible assumption. Is HE a bad person??? If he doesnt consider himself a bad person..then he is a hypocrite

CafeMom Tickers

Mommyto2LilMen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM

It all depends on the upbringing...I am having issues with my son, but his are mainly secutiry issues because of his dad leaving, which have caused some behavior, but I am working with his pediatrician and doing what he recommends and it seems to be working!

~*Proud Mommy of 2 Lil Men Kanin (5-26-06) & Korbyn (4-14-08)*~

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Kainalu55
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

well..he says..i just don't know how he was..although his mom always asks why he was so GOOD compared to his brothers... i don't believe he was that bad.. i feel really bad about it..for his younger brother especially..he could be a good kid, my daughter loves him.and he loves her..don't know what went wrong

Quoting GrippyBits2:

pregnancy calendar
MsDean
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

We discussed this in my sociology class last semester and according to my texbook the studies done on this subject have often given conflicting results. Why? I believe it is because although single parent households only have one parent the resources and support that that one parent has varies. So basically there are too many factors to consider to just be able to say single parent families= bad kids.

Me in a nutshell: *Married* *love reading* *hate going to theaters* *wine drinker* *SAHM*  *sometimes call my kids by the wrong name* *mom of 3 brats*

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I'm a single mother... I don't allow my children to be around that crap.... my brother is a 22 yr old momma's boy who smokes, no job, high school drop out and my parents were married until he turned 19... My father is in both of our lives (though my brother pushes my father away and blames him for his fuck ups).... It's not the low life father's fault... it's the mom's fault for "being a friend" and not a mother!!!! I homeschool my kids... I REFUSE to give the a chance to get away with shit....

Quoting Kainalu55:

my husband and i disagree with this. I believe that just because kids are raised in a single family home DOES NOT mean that they are destined to be troubled teens...

My husbands mom is a single parent. her kids dad's are druggies, just out of jail, etc. no good dad's.

his brother's are terrible. one just turned 18, he steals, smokes/sells weed, no job, high school drop out, drives w/out a liscense, etc. been arrested more than once

sister, 12 hangs out w/ the wrong crowd, bad mouthed, steals, smokes, gets into fights

anyway here's the problem. i believe it is his mother's fault...and he shouldn't blame it on the fact that she is a single parent. She KNOWS her kids are doing these bad things yet doesn't really do anything about it..it's sad! I feel like she's more of a friend than a mother..they get along well with her..so why doesn't she do something about it!

My husband blames it all on her being a single parent, and says ALL single parent families are like this..i disagree!

Are you struggling with weightloss? Do you have 100+ lbs to lose? Than visit me and other ladies taking a stance and ready to kick the healthier living into gear!!!

Check us out at ~*~Mom's with 100 or more pouds to lose~*~

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Well I think that with many single parents the parents is trying to provide for the family alone. So she is not available as much as a parent with a partner would be. So the children more than often run the streets, have sex, and get into trouble. Plus since the mother is not available then the children are more likely to get lonely and experiment with sex earlier. Also when you are a working mother you don't see your children as often as you could and when you do you dont want to be riding them all the time. I don't think that all children of single parents turn out this way but way more than parents with a partner. Its hard work raiseing children on your own and sometimes you have to deceide to keep food on the table and buy school clothing or be there when your chidren get out of school. Also there are way around it the father may not be around but there are churches that are really involved with kids and keep them off the street. We knew a women that was a single mom with mental issues and she made sure her son made it to college and he just graduated. If she didnt have money she would call stores, churches, anyone who would listen and beg them. She found a nice family to allow her son to live with them so that he could finish high school. She had some serious mental issues but she did all she could to make sure her son graduated, and had people who cared for him and it worked. Some people have family, or someone else who is availible.

Kainalu55
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:53 PM

i agree..the ONLY time i had ever seen her really upset was when he stole her car!  and it was only because he didn't tell her he was going to take it and she taught smeone had stole it..not because he took it! adn even for that she was over it pretty fast..and..no punishment..she lets him drive w/out a liscence!

Quoting Momof2MixdBoyz:

I'm a single mother... I don't allow my children to be around that crap.... my brother is a 22 yr old momma's boy who smokes, no job, high school drop out and my parents were married until he turned 19... My father is in both of our lives (though my brother pushes my father away and blames him for his fuck ups).... It's not the low life father's fault... it's the mom's fault for "being a friend" and not a mother!!!! I homeschool my kids... I REFUSE to give the a chance to get away with shit....

Quoting Kainalu55:

pregnancy calendar
alexhuntercody
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM

There are studies done that say that teen moms are likely to be children of single parents with absent fathers. There are studies done that say boys who had absent fathers are more than likely to wind up in prison. There are studies that show that kids who come from single families are less likely to graduate..the list goes on.

While not all kids who come from single families turn out like these studies say. They somehow say its more than likely to happen with single families and absent fathers so i don't know.

I think a single mom is just as capable of raising good children and healthy productive adults just as married couples are able to raise hells spawns and lazy ass mootches that are classified as adults. Being a single parent or having children who have absent father doesn't automatically get the mom a F in parenting and doesn't get the kids a FAIL at life.

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM

lol... My oldest tried stealing a pack of Pokemon cards.... the buzzer went off at Wal-Mart.... I let security do his thing (I knew he did it).... the guard talked to my son about it... my son was bawling his eyes out... he never stole again... his lil' brother tried doing the same thing... he saw... told him... "if you take that the police man will take you to jail... he did it to me!" his lil' brother put the stuff back!!! I let my children learn the consequences of their actions... I'd be dammed if I got over my kids taking my car without permission... shit they know better than going into my purse or pockets!!!

Quoting Kainalu55:

i agree..the ONLY time i had ever seen her really upset was when he stole her car!  and it was only because he didn't tell her he was going to take it and she taught smeone had stole it..not because he took it! adn even for that she was over it pretty fast..and..no punishment..she lets him drive w/out a liscence!

Quoting Momof2MixdBoyz:

Quoting Kainalu55:

Are you struggling with weightloss? Do you have 100+ lbs to lose? Than visit me and other ladies taking a stance and ready to kick the healthier living into gear!!!

Check us out at ~*~Mom's with 100 or more pouds to lose~*~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)