Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 7 year old is having his Tonsils out... Need Help!!!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

So my DS is having his tonsils out on Tuesday. I have been told he will be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks while he heals. I need some ideas about what to feed him. Everyone tells me ice cream. I cant give him alot of ice cream. I have no idea what to expect and i am a little nervous. Any ideas Ladies......... Has anyone else gone through this? Can you tell me what it is like?

Thanks

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazyangel_52
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM

like apple juice, milk, ice cream, i'm not sure what else. i would stay away from stuff that has acid in it. my daughter just had her appendix taken out on weds. and is mosty eating soft stuff.

nickyconry
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM

thanks, Definetly staying away from acid stuff. I couldnt imagine how bad that would hurt....

Quoting crazyangel_52:

like apple juice, milk, ice cream, i'm not sure what else. i would stay away from stuff that has acid in it. my daughter just had her appendix taken out on weds. and is mosty eating soft stuff.

Brandie_xo
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM

i had my tonsils out when i was 11. i was allowed to have solids pretty much as soon as i could tolerate them. I lived off mashed potatoes for a while.

Tanya_D
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:06 PM

They don't have to be on liquids the entire two weeks. My six year old had hers out back in January and its amazing how fast they heal. Let them choose when the are ready but as soon as they feel ready they can have soft foods such as chicken and stars (soup) the noodles are small and easy to chew and swallow and such. Pudding and Jello are also good. You can get some popsicles too. My daughter need the pain meds the first day and that was it and she is a real sissy too. I would definetly make them stay on track for the full two weeks of liquids and soft foods too because days 10-14 is when they have the most chance of bleeding. Anyway, your little one will be fine. GL 

Tanya_D
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:08 PM

OH, and absolutely no straws either. It puts to much strain on the throat and it can be painful. Then they refuse to eat.

vintage_pearl4
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:09 PM

When I had my tonsils out I mainly ate pasta for my meals and small things like ice cream or pudding in between.  I also at yogurt (healthier than ice cream if your worried about him getting too much sugar) and mashed potatoes.

nickyconry
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Thank you. I will make sure their is no straws. Lots of Soup

Quoting Tanya_D:

OH, and absolutely no straws either. It puts to much strain on the throat and it can be painful. Then they refuse to eat.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
XenaBeth
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Had mine out at 12, I mainly ate oatmeal, ice cream, smoothies and shakes. Anything cold that I could hold in my throat for a bit helped so much. For about a week it will be hard for him to talk and swallow, so anything that will slide down is great.

Warm oatmeal helps too, but not as much as the cold stuff.

aubreyluv
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM

you can try yogurt, mashed patatoes, jello. the doctor that did my sons told me to feed him whatever he will eat but try and do it in a healthy way... He said not to go over board on the icecream and what not but to try and do real foods as long as they are soft and goes down easily.. They will also give you some ideas of what to feed him when you take him in to have it done

ETA: FYI he will have the stinkiest breath you have ever smelt in your life!! I was shocked when i smelt my sons breath after he got his tonsils out!!! The doctors told us that the bad breath lasted up to like 6 weeks and boy was i glas when it was gone!!!! WHEW!!!lol

Tanya_D
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I agree with the breath thing but my daughters went away after all the stuff fell off in the back of her throat which took about 2 and 1/2 weeks. My God I still remember that smell. Ugh, I think I just lost my appetite. lol

Quoting aubreyluv:

you can try yogurt, mashed patatoes, jello. the doctor that did my sons told me to feed him whatever he will eat but try and do it in a healthy way... He said not to go over board on the icecream and what not but to try and do real foods as long as they are soft and goes down easily.. They will also give you some ideas of what to feed him when you take him in to have it done

ETA: FYI he will have the stinkiest breath you have ever smelt in your life!! I was shocked when i smelt my sons breath after he got his tonsils out!!! The doctors told us that the bad breath lasted up to like 6 weeks and boy was i glas when it was gone!!!! WHEW!!!lol

If you want to know all about "me" then visit my page! That's what it is for! sticking out tongue

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)