Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

12 inch bike or 16 inch bike

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am buying a bike for my boyfriends sons birthday tomorrow.. he is turning 3 yrs old.  I was going to buy the 12 inch but after reading online that only last to age 4 yr old and I saw where people have rated that they have bought the 16 inch bike for there 3 yr old.. What would be my best choice?  What would you do??  Also his mom only lets him come over two weekends out of the month so I want to get the most use out of the bike I'd hate for him to barely get to use it..

Lilypie

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom_2_3crzyboys
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:28 PM

we got our son the 12 inch bike when he turned four as he was riding without training wheels since the age of 3 and we noticed the bigger 16 inch bike is harder to balance especially if the child is just learning to ride a bike. i would go with the 12 inch my son is 5 and still fits his 12 inch bike perfectly and the 16 inch is too big to keep balanced still. good luck!

brbrowen
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM

We got our 8 yr old a 16in bike and I think its to big she is on the short side for her age but not that much.  My son is 10 and he has an 18in that I think is to big but he rides it just fine.  I would go smaller until the are very comfortable riding on their own.

CafeMom Tickers

lauriebash
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Hubby owns a bike shop, so I asked him. He would go for the 12", too. Unless his is a VERY tall little boy. Getting a bike that is too big will discourage him. He doesnt need a pricy one, as they grow so quickly.

1busymomma03
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I would go with the 12". We just got our DS a 16" for his 6th birthday. Ds learned to ride without training wheels pretty early, and there is no way he would have been able to handle and control a 16" bike at that age.

mamaslilpunkin
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM

We are getting dd a 16"bike for easter(she is 6).We got her the 12" for her 3rd bday and she got 3 years out of it.She looks so huge on it now so time for the upgrade!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN