Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A stroller for a 6 year old....

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM
  • 35 Replies

My son is going to be 6 and I desperatelyneed a stroller for him.  He has weak legs due to a reaction to his polio vaccination, he can walk, but he get muscle aches and he can't walk for an extended period of time, say like a zoo or a fair.  He does fine in Wal-Mart, and I can put him in the cart if need be, but I need something to push him in when we go on trips, and he is outgrowing the stroller we have now. I was thinking maybe a jogging stroller, but I need one that he can fit in for awhile. Do any of you ladies have any ideas where I can find a stroller for an older child? I can't seem to find one that works for children over age of  4 or 50 pounds, so any ideas would be great. Thank you so much ladies!

EDIT:

You ladies ROCK! Thank you so much, I think I am going with the special tomato, it looks like it will work great! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Im not sure.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I would try talking to a medical supply store.  I know they make them and they may be able to help you.  Also you could ask your pedi and he/she may be able to write you a prescription being as it is a medical issue due to a vaccination and you may get insurance to help pay for it!

~*Proud Mommy of 2 Lil Men Kanin (5-26-06) & Korbyn (4-14-08)*~

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Does Maclaren go to 60 lbs?  I thought they were a stroller with high weight limit..

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I saw a jogging stroller made for kids with cerebral palsey (sp?) at a second hand store this past summer.  It looked just like a regular jogging stroller but taller, so they do exist!

rubixcube.gif rubix cube picture by walshfamilyalbum

mamahot13
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I have a similar problem with my 6yr old except its her feet. SHe has flat feet and so far anything with long periods of walking she can not do without her feet hurting we have tried so many types of shoes and some work for a few months but still dont help when going to the zoo or fairs or just long walks.

hfs1998
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Good answer!  This is a medical need, I hope you can get insurance to cover it.

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

I would try talking to a medical supply store.  I know they make them and they may be able to help you.  Also you could ask your pedi and he/she may be able to write you a prescription being as it is a medical issue due to a vaccination and you may get insurance to help pay for it!

jenniepepsi
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM

i woudl think he would still fit in an umbrella stroller, my 6 year old does (ASD/SPD sometimes needs a break)

momofcali3
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Try a BOB stroller. It is a jogging, hiking stroller.....on the expensive side but worth every penny in my opinion :) I have the double for my children and the seat sits way back so the child does not look big or odd. My niece cruised in it when we went to Knotts and she was 5 and 60+ lbs. 

barrelracer1699
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Don't know about a stroller but how about a Wagon???? Its just a thought if you cant find a stroller

beautisticaware
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I second this one.  Although, I am not positive your insurance will pay.  Just speaking from experience,  I do medical coding and billing.  There is some type of rule, when it comes to this as far as the distance at which he can walk and how often and how long he must rest. Also as to weather it would also need to be used in the home as well.  But it is worth a try.  If you have a wonderful pediatrician and one that advocates for your child, you should have no problem.

Boy, do I miss old children's pediatrician.  I so want to move back home.  :(

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)