Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

42 states allow underage drinking

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM
  • 49 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think underage drinking should be allowed?

Options:

under parental supervision only in their own home

parental supervision anywhere

religious only

medical only

no no drinking what so ever under age

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

1. on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consent in 29 states

Examples: private home, private office, or private property with parental presence and consent

Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

2. on private, non alcohol-selling premises,
without parental consent
in 7 states

Examples: private home, private office, or private property without parental consent or presence

California, Louisiana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Wyoming

3. for religious purposes in 30 states

Example: drinking wine during a church ceremony

Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

4. for medical purposes in 21 states

Example: medical treatment prescribed by a licensed physician

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

5. for government work related purposes in 4 states

Examples: working undercover with police and participating in government research

Michigan, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina

6. for educational purposes in 13 states

Example: students in culinary school

California, Colorado, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Wyoming

7. when reporting medical need due to underage drinking for another minor in 3 states

Example: underage drinker calls 911 to report medical emergency for another underage drinker

Colorado, Florida, Montana

by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaraylene
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM

That's nuts...I live in West Virginia...and surprisingly...I don't see us on any of these lists. That's not necessarily good though!!!!!!!!!

Mamasgirl524
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:19 AM

NC doesn't do shit about it. It really pisses me off.

Cavalrybaby02
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I don't really see what the big deal is.  I don't think that alcohol is bad and I think that parents should have the right to allow their children to drink.

I think that Americans are really uptight about drinking.  In some other countries, kids have wine at the dinner table.  And they don't have the binge drinking problem that we do.

wildflowerkej
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I don't have a problem with underage drinking, I started drinking when I was 12.  Because of it I have a really high alcohol tolerance, have never been drunk and when I turned 21 I pretty much quit drinking.

annie610
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Bump

cmhart
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM

i think it's better to have ur child drinking with you in your home at 16 then at a party getting wasted and trying to make it home (drunk and driving) before curfew. 

HeatherM0529
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Michigan doesn't allow underage drinking accept for undercover work, religion, and culinary school!!

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I also have found the longer someone is prohibited from drinking the more likely they will have a drinking problem. I don't think it is horible to allow a child to have a small glass of wattered down wine with dinner

ebburtner
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:30 AM

My mom used to live in Wisconsin and when we went to visit her she told me that kids can drink in Wisconsin as long as the parent buys it for them. I thought she was crazy but sure enough, the do allow it. Kids can go into bars and drink if there parents buy it!!!!

I voted parental supervision anywhere. I would much rather my kids drink under my supervision than at a party where they will get stupid. I do however think there should be an age limit. I don't kids under 16 need to be getting drunk!

FruitfulReward
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM

What part of NC are you from??  I live in the Greensboro area and I have seen kids go to jail, get fined, community service, etc. and that's all for underage drinking.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

NC doesn't do shit about it. It really pisses me off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN